1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper boot device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pyroh, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pyroh

Pyroh Thread Starter

My Toshiba laptop says reboot and select proper boot device and I've been reserching how to fix this online for a few days im usually pretty tech savy, but everything online says that you need to boot from bios but my computer wont boot bios for some reason, just hopeing someone has a fix to this.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are getting that msg because the bios cannot find any bootable hard drive. Usually this means the drive has failed however before replacing the drive, reseat the drive in the drive bay. Sometimes they can work loose and or poor connection.

3. Pyroh

Pyroh Thread Starter

Yeah i did that guess I'll just have to buy a new hard drive, so if i bought a new one all I'd have to is put that one in and download a new version of windows?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You would need to either install windows, drivers, programs, etc OR restore an image backup [if you have a backup]
    Yes, it is pretty simple to install the new hard disk then install programs.

Some systems ship with a restore disk or disks. If you have these, then it puts the laptop back to the way it was when new.

5. Pyroh

Pyroh Thread Starter

Another question, wouldn it be possible to take a hard drive out of a similar laptop and pop it in this laptop?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Can you install it, sure. Will it work ie boot windows, most likely not due to different drivers. There is another problem with what you are asking. OEM type windows lic is valid with the original hardware only. A drive from a different system will not activate.

If you had win10, then there really is no problem. Just install the same version you had ie pro, home, whatever. Windows will phone home and see you already had windows installed and activate itself.
    You can download the media creation tool from ms and make a windows install usb or dvd.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice