Reboot and select proper boot device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fdm1619

Can someone help me I booted up my computer and it gave me "reboot and select proper boot device " I can't boot my os

crjdriver

First of all, no one has any idea what hardware you are running. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
Next you are receiving that msg because the system cannot detect a boot device ie hard drive. Your hard drive may have failed or simply have a loose connection ie data or pw connector worked loose.
First open the case [system OFF and pw cord removed from the back of the pw supply] Reseat both pw and data connections to the hard drive. Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and see if your hard drive is even detected. If it is, make sure it is listed as a boot device. Save settings and restart.
If it works, great. If it does not work [and the drive was detected in the bios] test the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You download this from whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Note since you cannot boot the system, you will need the dos or boot version of the diagnostic. This is usually a .ISO type of file that you burn to a CD to make a bootable CD. Run both long and short tests on the drive.

texasbullet

Ramon
Here are your computers drivers.
Seems you have a desktop computer. You need to turn off system and remove cover to check the connections in your HDD as stated on post #6.

crjdriver

Put the drivers on a flash drive and boot from there?
I did not say anything about drivers. Have you done what I said in post #6 specifically reseating the pw and data cables then seeing if the drive is detected?

crjdriver

Well if you cannot open the case, there really is not much you can do. I have never seen a computer case that could not be opened.
If you want to fix the problem, you need to test in a systematic way and the first thing to do is check connections.

Up to you; either open the case OR if you are unable, take the system to a shop and have it fixed. In any case, IF you need the hard drive replaced, you have to open the case.

Fdm1619

I managed to get it open and unplugged all the HDD connections and plugged them back in still no progress

Fdm1619

Hard drive is listed in boot priority but nothing is listed in hard drive priority

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online