1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper boot device

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Fdm1619, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

Can someone help me I booted up my computer and it gave me "reboot and select proper boot device " I can't boot my os

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You might need to go into your bios settings to do this procedure.

3. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

And switch boot priority? Already did. Doesn't work

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Maybe it is not detecting your HDD.

5. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

Ok how do I fix that

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea what hardware you are running. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
    Next you are receiving that msg because the system cannot detect a boot device ie hard drive. Your hard drive may have failed or simply have a loose connection ie data or pw connector worked loose.
    First open the case [system OFF and pw cord removed from the back of the pw supply] Reseat both pw and data connections to the hard drive. Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and see if your hard drive is even detected. If it is, make sure it is listed as a boot device. Save settings and restart.
    If it works, great. If it does not work [and the drive was detected in the bios] test the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You download this from whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Note since you cannot boot the system, you will need the dos or boot version of the diagnostic. This is usually a .ISO type of file that you burn to a CD to make a bootable CD. Run both long and short tests on the drive.

7. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

Acer
    Xc-704g
    Snid: 60400983930

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Here are your computers drivers.
    Seems you have a desktop computer. You need to turn off system and remove cover to check the connections in your HDD as stated on post #6.

9. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

Put the drivers on a flash drive and boot from there?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I did not say anything about drivers. Have you done what I said in post #6 specifically reseating the pw and data cables then seeing if the drive is detected?

11. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

I can't get into the casing

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well if you cannot open the case, there really is not much you can do. I have never seen a computer case that could not be opened.
    If you want to fix the problem, you need to test in a systematic way and the first thing to do is check connections.

Up to you; either open the case OR if you are unable, take the system to a shop and have it fixed. In any case, IF you need the hard drive replaced, you have to open the case.

13. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

I managed to get it open and unplugged all the HDD connections and plugged them back in still no progress

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the drive detected in the bios?

15. Fdm1619

Fdm1619 Thread Starter

Hard drive is listed in boot priority but nothing is listed in hard drive priority

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice