Reboot and select proper boot device

EmpireGoonz

My computer was running fine yesterday now today i get on it says reboot and selet proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key ive tried to go tru bios havent got any luck plz help

Either your hard drive has died or it has developed weak/bad sectors. Time to buy a new one.

EmpireGoonz

Either your hard drive has died or it has developed weak/bad sectors. Time to buy a new one.
It shows up as a drive i think windows 10 messed itself bc I updated it then it does that now i think i need to boot a clean install of windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:

Couriant

James
I suspect it may have been an update (rarely, but possible) that caused it but generally the message you see is more commonly due to the hard drive failing out or the BIOS boot settings has changed.

Is this a branded machine or a self built machine?

Then you need to use something else to boot the computer.

You can use a Win 10 install usb / dvd to repair the install.

Also, powering on/off three times in quick succession can take you to recovery mode, if the recovery partition is not also hosed.

EmpireGoonz

Then you need to use something else to boot the computer.

You can use a Win 10 install usb / dvd to repair the install.

Also, powering on/off three times in quick succession can take you to recovery mode, if the recovery partition is not also hosed.
Do i just turn it on and off 3 times

Yes. If you power off three times while Windows is loading, the next time Windows will start in recovery mode. But it sounds like Windows is not even starting to load, so this may not work for you. You can always try it and see.

Do you have a USB Flash Drive (8GB or larger)? Do you have access to a working Windows computer?

Go here on it:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the 'Download Tool Now' button. Download then run the Media Creation Tool to create a Win 10 Install on the USB flash drive. Now boot the problem computer with that USB flash drive (you may need to switch USB to first boot priority in the BIOS, or select the USB in a boot menu if you know the key to press for that at boot). When that starts up, select language/keyboard layout or accept the defaults, then click 'Repair your computer'. That should take you to recovery mode (it may prompt for a valid account/password).

You can then go thru the steps in the Lifewire article I linked earlier to repair the BCD.

You may want to first check the drive using command prompt, to see if the files are intact:
To see a listing of files/folders:
dir c:\
or, possibly
dir d:\
etc
Drive letters will change based on how the computer is booted.

Also run a disk check:
chkdsk C: /x /r

Change C: to the appropriate letter for the drive with the Windows folder and/or run chkdsk on all valid letters. That command can take a while as it scans for bad sectors.

Ideally, you would also test the drive with a utility from the manufacturer of the drive. But that involves creating another USB flash drive with a tool from that manufacturer, and then booting to that. Not all manufacturers offer this, but Seagate, for example, does with Seatools Bootable here:

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

That can be used on other manufacturers drives, but it is best to use software geared for a specific drive.

If you can't fix it, then use the Win 10 install USB to re-install Windows 10. You may or may not need to replace the drive first. If the installation fails, that is a sign that the drive is bad. If the drive is working, but Windows is not, backup your files from the drive first , as a clean install will wipe them all out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online