1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and Select proper boot device...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdrogers73, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdrogers73

jdrogers73 Thread Starter

Guys,
    I am building my own computer. I just put it together tonight and turned it on for the first time. Unfortunately, I don't remember every detail of what happened and what I did, etc... anyway, I am getting this error message:
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device." I have a hard drive installed in this new system that was booting fine in my other computer. When I first turned on this new system it seemed to be starting up normally because the first message I saw was the Video card name and video card ram amount, etc.... I can't remember if I saw a system RAM count or not... The Bios did alert me to some kind of error, but I don't remember the message... I went into the BIOS and looked at the settings... everything seemed normal and the BIOS did see my hard drive because it was listed under the IDE device list, but it didn't offer my hard drive as an option on the Boot Device Priority menu... I was assuming that the BIOS would automatically look at the master boot record on the hard drive and load Windows... that procedure executed flawlessly in my other computer... the boot device priority list only contained a floppy drive option which was weird because I don't have a floppy installed, CD and hard drive only. Anyway, I can't even get into the BIOS at this point. When I restart I get a 1 second flash screen consisting of an Intel Motherboard Pentium 4 banner... then the screen goes black and I get the error message I listed above... HELP! HELP! HELP! Did I somehow ruin my freakin' board?

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Which OS is installed on the Harddrive? You normally can not just switch to a new motherboard and bios, then throw in a drive with Windows XP installed, and expect it to work. Typically, you would need to re-install XP for a new motherboard unless it was identical to the old one. However, since you stated that it's not even showing the harddrive as a bootable device in Bios, I don't think that is the problem your running into, yet. When you boot up, try holding down the f1 or f2 keys, and see if that takes you to bios.

3. jdrogers73

jdrogers73 Thread Starter

Deathblow,
    Thanks for replying.... I must admit when I saw your name I thought, "Oh, blank, my board is fried..." LOL... I realized that I had plugged the HD and the CD-ROM into the same IDE cable... fixing that allowed the BIOS to see the HD. Your comment on not being able to put a HD from an another system into this new one and getting it to boot up without reformatting/reinstalling has clarified things somewhat because I was under the assumption that I could do that... I am running XP... I suppose my next step will be to reformat the HD and reinstall XP... is that what you would recommend?

jdrogers73

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

You should be able to use the same cable for the HD and CD-ROM, just make sure they are properly jumpered for slave and master. Feel free to try to boot from that drive without re-installing XP, just be aware that it may be required.

5. Kabluee

Kabluee

I am such an idiot...I bought a used computer online and it gives me this message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" I have read the previous threads and tried everything to no avail. Since I have no way to boot to see which operating system it has on it, I can't be very specific. Is there a way to force the computer to reinstall an OS? Any help would be appreciated. Cindy

6. vadivelur

vadivelur

Hi Kabluee

Don't worry, we can fix the problem. First check in the BIOS whether the HD is getting detected or not. Then set the Boot priority to CD-ROM as first boot and HD as second boot. Try reinstalling the OS. It should work.

Regards

Vadivelu Ravikumar

7. Kabluee

Kabluee

TY, I did look at the bios and it is showing that the hd is being detected I set the order to CD rom first, but it still will not get past that message, it is a gateway and the gateway site says to hold CTRL+ALT+DELETE while booting, and that did not work either. I will try to put the OS on again, but the seller did not send the discs with the pc, so I will need to get a disc. Thanks for your help. Cindy

8. Kabluee

Kabluee

PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable

Network boot aborted, or terminated.

What does this mean?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice