1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lethiX, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lethiX

lethiX Thread Starter

I switched on my pc the other night to find it displayed this message. I have two 80gb hard drives that have been functioning fine until this. I did not make any changes to jumpers or anything until the problem happened and have now tried this and have checked all the cables are firmly attached. In the bios it is not detecting either of the drives. I have tried a combination of having one and both drives plugged in with various jumper settings but nothing seems to be working. I have also tested the drives on a friends computer and both work fine. If anyone has any ideas i appreciate the help as i have lost of stuff i dont want to lose.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Disconnect the one that doesn't have the operating system on it.

Then check the bios setup to see if it appears there.

When you say they work on a friend's computer, is that as a slave drive or a boot drive?

3. lethiX

lethiX Thread Starter

started up with only the boot drive...nothing in bios. the boot prority menu just says [Hard Drive] as nothing is detected.

I tested the hard drive on its own as the boot drive on my friends computer and it started up windows fine.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system? I find it hard to believe that ANY WINDOWS operating system is going to start up just fine in another computer with different hardware....and if you have XP, it's even more unbelievable.

5. r3drock3t88

r3drock3t88

I've come across plenty of windows 2000 installed harddrives that have booted perfectly fine in other computers with different harddrives. Haven't had an XP one yet however, but nevertheless..

did you by chance try resetting the CMOS? (to do so simply take the cmos battery our [looks like a massive watch type battery] and wait several minutes then plug it back in).

My dad literally just had this problem tonight and I fixed it by putting the jumper on the MIDDLE setting. But you said you've tried all settings, make sure you've tried this one (i believe that is the master setting)

Good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice