1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper boot device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ironsidez, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ironsidez

Ironsidez Thread Starter

Ok so my old hard drive went bad, so I went out and bought a new 1, both were SATAs the new 1 is a WD caviar with 1.5 tb the old was a seagate barracuda with 750 gb.

Regardless, I figured I could download windows 7 at a friends house, burn it to a dvd-r, put in the new hard drive, install windows and be good to go. However I am getting the reboot and selecte proper boot device error.

It is reading my hard drive and dvd drive under boot devices. It also shows up when I run diagnostics. I googled the error and found a million results but none have really helped atm. I don't know if the error is from not have an operating system or something else. Right now I have the computer at my friends house and im going back and forth swapping wires to power on each computer. I am getting really frustrated and could use some help. I did check boot order and what not to make sure it's right. I am a huge computer novice and need very specific instructions. Maybe I didn't burn the disk right?

Let me know if any specific specs are needed, im just trying to get this down to get help asap.

2. fodelement

fodelement

It very well could be a bad disc, mainly because it was "Downloaded". But still, if it was burnt any faster then about 4x you will experience issues such as these. What I would do is; in the bios disable everything as a boot device but the CD drive. Put in the CD, save and reboot.

3. Ironsidez

Ironsidez Thread Starter

cool, it is a legal copy of windows downloaded from my college, but i burned it using the regular windows xp burning this computer has, I recently thought it could be bad disk so i downloaded imgBurn and am currently burning a new 1 and gonna verify it. Ill also try what you said about disabling everything else.

4. Ironsidez

Ironsidez Thread Starter

Ok so now the cd loads windows, then gets to the install screen then crashes as it should get there or right after and goes to a BSoD.

Says something about new hard ware installation etc. I'm really not sure the reason for this one or how to fix it. I'd guess of course it has to do with the new hard drive, im pretty sure it's hooked up properly though, and diagnostics and smart self tests say theres nothing wrong with the hard drive itself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice