1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper device need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by masn07, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masn07

masn07 Thread Starter

Hello, I recently bought a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB and attempted to install it. I pretty much went in without any real guidance and I'm pretty certain I ended up wiping my C: drive (Intel 600p series 128GB SSD) while messing with the BIOS. Whenever I turn my pc on now, it just says "Reboot and select proper boot device..." I can get into BIOS and that's it, otherwise I can't use my computer at all. I'm not as knowledgable as I want to be when it comes to the inside of a computer but I know a little bit. If you could help it would be much appreciated, thank you!

As of now my issues are:
    -Reinstalling OS onto the 970
    -Figuring out where to place 970 so it's compatible with everything and runs properly
    -Figuring out whether or not I can use the Intel 128gb SSD with my 970

I've read my mb's manual on the SATA, M.2, PCIe but it's a tad confusing for me so it's not much help.

My specs
    MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
    CPU: i7 6700K
    RAM: 8GB 3000Mhz
    PSU: 1000w
    SATA1: SanDisk X400 512GB SSD
    SATA2: Toshiba 3TB HDD
    M.2 1: Intel 600p Series 128GB

Boot order
    1: HARD DISK
    2: CDROM
    3: USB HD
    4: USB CD
    5: USB KEY
    6: USB FLOPPY
    7: NETWORK

If there's any more information you may need just let me know

I also have a Windows 10 recovery disc that I received from CyberPower when I got my PC that I put in an external optical drive to try and install on the 970 but I'm just not sure how to.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

For boot order select USB CD. It should boot your external optical drive.

3. masn07

masn07 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I set USB CD to be first but when I reboot it sends me back to the BIOS. Any idea on how to get around that?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you get any error messages from the BIOS ?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to install windows on a nvme type drive, pull the pw connectors from ALL other drives. Windows setup will install the boot files to the first drive connected to a sata port; with all other drives disconnected, setup has no choice but to install all files to the nvme drive.
    Do the following;
    1 Make the bootable usb install. Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the media creation tool. Make the usb
    2 Enter the bios and disable any fast boot option. Read your manual as to where this is located. Note the quick boot key will not work with fast boot enabled
    3 Save settings and restart with the bootable install usb inserted in a usb port
    4 During POST, hit the F11 key to access the quick boot menu. Select your usb [Note I never use msi boards however I think it is the F11 key, again read your manual]
    5 Install windows. When you are completely finished with the install, shutdown and reconnect whatever drives you disconnected
    6 After you install your drivers ie chipset, lan, sound, etc, be sure and install the samsung nvme driver [download this from the samsung support page] It makes quite a difference in read/write speeds on my system [using a 960 nvme drive]

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW the speed of a samsung nvme drive is almost unbelievable. My ryzen system boots in 4~5 seconds after POST; about 10 seconds from hitting the pw ON button [that is with fast boot disabled]

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last item. I just looked at the support page for your motherboard. There are numerous bios updates that address nvme issues. I would consider updating the bios to the latest one prior to attempting the tasks outlined in post #5.

If you update the bios be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your motherboard unbootable ie junk.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice