Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reboot and select proper device

506 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I was messing with the SATA cables with my hard drive, and the plastic part on the hard drive where you place the SATA cable broke. I have another hard drive though, but I don’t if it was the boot drive or not. So now I can’t get out of the reboot and select proper boot device screen. I also tried to go in bios and made my other hard drive the first boot device Option, but it still gave me the same answer. If someone can help me that will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm going to assume your computer has 2 separate physical storage drives.
I'm also going to assume you damaged the SATA connector of the storage drive that contains the Windows operating system.

Listing the other storage drive first in the boot order in the BIOS is going to display a "Reboot and select proper device" message because it doesn't contain the Windows operating system, so there's nothing for your computer to boot to.

What does the other storage drive contain?

--------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
You should be able to replace the boot drive (maybe with an SSD) and reinstall Win10. You will likely have to reinstall all your games and programs. You'll also need another SATA cable, but they are cheap.

On another system, download the Microsoft Windows media creation tool and build a bootable flashdrive to load Win10 back on the new drive. It's already activated. For safety, I always remove any other drives before installing Windows. Reconnect afterward.

#7 ·
I just underly need help. I got a new ssd and want to use to put my os on it. But I have two hdd that are two boot drives. I’m trying to clone them together so I can than clone them into my ssd but I just can’t deal with the frustration I’m going through. When I try to clone with the drive that has less things it says I can’t. But it says I could with the drive with a lot of stuff in it. And it’s literally taking forever I can’t wait that long. I have to get some rest for Christ sake. But I also saw the way of usb and installing it that way but I don’t have a usb and I’m not trying to get a whole new installation of windows either. If someone can’t just guide me or help me that would be so great. I’m just so stressed with this and I just can’t take it anymore.

#8 ·
I'm a bit confused about the two boot drives. Are you saying that you have two different Operating Systems - one residing on each drive - or do yo have mirrored drives? Seems to me it has to be the former.

You can't close two different drives to a single target. The second cloning will overwrite the first.

And, yes, cloning takes time. Depending on the amount of data you have on the source, type of interface, speed of controller and disks. Some clone operations may take hours to finish.

We'd all love to help but it's a bit confusing what you're asking for, in my opinion.

#9 ·
I just installed windows to a usb. And now I installed it on my ssd but when I reboot from my ssd. It says reboot and select proper boot device. So I went into bios and put it first and it still says that. I also disconnected my other drives so they wouldn’t interfere with the install. But I can’t get into windows and Haven’t been able to use my pc for a couple days now. Can someone please help me.

#14 ·
Start over. You need just the ssd connected and not the other drives. Pull the pw connectors from ALL other drives.
Boot with your windows install usb and clean install windows. Delete ALL partitions on the ssd and have setup create partitions as necessary. When you are finished with the install, reboot and make sure the system boots OK. If all is well, shutdown and reconnect any other drives.

Note it would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc.
I was messing with the SATA cables with my hard drive, and the plastic part on the hard drive where you place the SATA cable broke
You can just use something like JB Weld to repair your old drive. The data cable would now be part of the drive however it works just fine. I have one very old 250gig spin drive here that had the same problem. Fixed it with JB Weld; been working for years like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.