1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reboot cycle leading to fail to post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaddMan, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaddMan

MaddMan Thread Starter

A new build goes into a reboot cycle. I'm thinking its the PS. It began when running a game, but has started doing so on less intensive running. I was going to try running the ram (2x4gb) singularly to test. Then I noticed that the fans connected to the molex 4pin as well as the video card (no direct ps connection) pulse every few seconds.. even when powered down, even when the hard ps switch is off for a while.

Then, the thing did nothing on the next power up.

Is there a way to test other than to try another ps? The only other one I have is old and doesn't have the +4 pin connector the newer ones have.

I know the other possible culprits are the mobo & cpu.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    The most reliable test for a possible failed / faulty PSU is to swap in a known good one, i.e. one you know powers another system OK.

Have you been through the 'Troubleshooting Guide for Problem Builds' thread?

What is the full list of hardware components you are working with?

3. MaddMan

MaddMan Thread Starter

The mobo is a Asrock 660FX extream 3, the ps is a EVGA 500b, AMD Asheria 8 core, and G.Skills Ripjaws ddr3-2133.

While cruising reviews I found one that detailed the same problems on a 6oob (the one in this machine which is why we got the 500b) & he wrote that the ps particularly acted up when it didn't power was shut off to the unit - leave the ups on & it was better acting.

Between what we've seen with the fans and this information unless we're offered some other advice the ps is going RMA.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to accurately list your parts; there is no 660FX asrock board; there is no Asheria core amd processor.

No one can help you until we know what parts are installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice