1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot disconnects wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mary H, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Hi,

DSL (Bell), MS Broadband MN-700 router, Toshiba Satellite 1800 laptop, D-Link DWL-G630 802.11g wireless adapter

I have finally connected the laptop to the internet but everytime I reboot the computer, I lose my wireless connection. The message states that there are no available wirless networks. If I click on view available networks everything is grayed out. :confused:
    I have to uninstall the wireless adapter, reboot and reinstall the adapter and set up the wireless netwoork again. When I reinatall the adapter I am told there is an available network but I am not able to access it so I have to add it as a preferred network.

Any suggestions?

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Try turning off the proprietary "speed enhancements" of the adaptor. They could be keeping the card from initially connecting to the Access point.

Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers of any sort is to be avoided. If something worked, then you rebooted, and then it doesn't work, reinstalling the drivers is not the right answer. Simply rebooting is not going to "break" the drivers. It's much more likely that a configuration parameter needs to be tweaked somewhere to get it to come up. The question is what needs to be tweaked?

-Scott

3. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Thanks Scott for replying,

However, I have discovered the problem. I had to turn off the Windows configuration for the adapter so that I could use the configuration utility myself. Unfortunately, the quick install instructions are not very fluent in troubleshooting - but then neither was the manual when I finally found it on the CD. I have rebooted the laptop and the wireless network came right up this time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice