reboot error messages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alntyr

upon reinstalling windows 2000 pro, I am greeted with three errors "boxes" that dislay at the same time and on top of each other. The first and largest box says winsck at the top, the second says status and the third and smallest says system error unable to open dialog. I am able to click out of these and operations seem otherwise normal. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Dell OptiPlex Gx100
OS is Windows 2000 Pro

alntyr

I've identified the culprit by going into task manager and randomly ending processes until I found the one that caused the error messages. It's a file called tool.exe. I then located the file via the search function and was ready to delete it but chickened out as the confirm file delete pop up box indicates that it is a system file. Anybody know what this file does and whether or not I should/can delete it or maybe repair it? Thanks!

Rename it. Change it to someting like "tool.doc". Reboot and see if you still get errors.

alntyr

Cookies, that did it! No more error messages! Thanks for the help.

Triple 6, I have been scanning with Symantec, Ad-aware and Spybot for months.

I'm guessing but I think this file came from a web based land map viewing progarm I downloaded several months ago from a gov't site.

Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online