1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot & Locking problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shortfuse100, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortfuse100

shortfuse100 Thread Starter

Can anyone offer any suggestions please??

After months of trouble free computing, my system has suddenly started causing problems. When I boot up for the first time each day (or evening), it will load to the desktop and after a few minutes will suddenly appear to shutdown. The display will disappear but the system is still running and the monitor light remains on green as though the signal is still there. I have to manually shut down with the on/off switch and then restart. In the majority of occasions, the system will then run Ok for the rest of the day. I have also had several complete lock-ups on screen which I have never had previously.

I have suspicions that the problem is somehow related to my graphic card and drivers as it only started after I downloaded a Windows XP update for my graphics card. I have since used system restore to remove that update and downloaded and installed the manufacturers latest drivers instead. This has made no difference. I have made no hardware changes and installed no new software.

I run Zonealarm, Norton Anti-virus (with Liveupdate) and Adaware. I escaped the MSBlast worm and virus scans are clean.

I have also noticed that the system takes about twice as long to boot up as it used to.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions please??

After months of trouble free computing, my system has suddenly started causing problems. When I boot up for the first time, it will load to the desktop and after a few minutes will suddenly appear to shutdown. The display will go but the system is still running and the monitor light remains on green as though the signal is still there. I have to manually shut down with the on/off switch and then restart. In the majority of occasions, the system will then run Ok for the rest of the day. I have also had several complete lock-ups on screen which I have never had previously.

I have suspicions that the problem is somehow related to my graphic card and drivers as it only started after I downloaded a Windows XP update for my graphics card. I have since used system restore to remove that update and downloaded and installed the manufacturers latest drivers instead. This has made no difference. I have made no hardware changes and installed no new software.

I run Zonealarm, Norton Anti-virus (with Liveupdate) and Adaware. I escaped the MSBlast worm and virus scans are clean.

I have also noticed that the system takes about twice as long to boot up as it used to. Any suggestions or solutions would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Athlon 1800XP, Jetway Jetway V266 DM Ultra mainboard, 256 mb PC 2100 DDR ram, Maxtor Diamond Plus 60 GB hard drive Geforce 3 TI 500 graphics card.

Running Windows XP Professional including Service Pack 2.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

How many startup progs are there? You can start disabling one at a time to see if one is the culprit. (unless it's a heat prob).

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Why don't you completely uninstall your vid card drivers again from Safe Mode and see how things run (without instaling any drivers). Do you have the original drivers that you were using before the problem?

You could also run Startup CP to see what is running at start up.

4. milomorai

milomorai

you can try this: remove then reseat the graphics card, boot into safe mode and remove the device from device manager, boot normally and reinstall the original drivers. it could possibly be a monitor problem - do you have access to another pc to check out the monitor?

5. shortfuse100

shortfuse100 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies.

Rache,
    I only have 6 startup programs, including Norton and Zonealarm.

MysticEyes,
    Tried your first suggestion. No success. Am now looking for my original drivers.

Milomorai,
    Done as suggested, still have problems and a spare monitor suffers exactly the same fate.

Please keep trying.

A friend is suffering from an almost identical problem which makes me doubt that it is a hardware fault.

6. milomorai

milomorai

do you have an old pci video card to try? since the problem is happening regardless what monitor is used, it has to be a problem with the agp slot on the mobo or yhe mobo's drivers have gotten corrupted. go to the mfgr's site and download the latest 4in1 drivers for your mobo and install them. also try the pci card.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice