Reboot Loop in Windows XP Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

not so technical

I wanted to dust off my old Windows XP desktop computer, so I brought it out and tried to turn it on. When I turned it on though, I got to the black screen where I can change startup settings and stuff, and got to the screen that shows the Windows XP logo and the loading bar underneath it. After that, however, the screen goes black for about 10 seconds or so, and then the computer completely restarts, and no matter how many times I try to start it again, it'll keep restarting the computer.

After a while, I figured out that going into safe mode will let me get past the loading screen, and will let me start. However, I don't really know what to do from there. I already tried doing a system restore, but it didn't do anything. Can anyone help me out?

I unfortunately can't find my original Windows XP Installation CD, so using that to completely reset my computer is kind of out of the question. My cousin said that he has a Windows 7 Installation CD, so I considered using that, but I don't know how that would work and if it would work at all on a Windows XP computer.

SUEOHIO

SUE
It can be any number of things but if its an old computer things might be starting to fail like the harddrive or motherboard.Since it came with xp and its old putting windows 7 in it wont work because its not going to support an upgrade to 7 possibly and if theres no windows 7 drivers for it finding them will be a lesson in futility.Somehow you are going to have to find a copy of windows xp or maybe get restore/recovery disks for your model of computer from the mfr like lenovo, ibm, dell, etc, and try to do a complete reinstall and go from there.

not so technical

So other than finding/buying a Windows XP installation CD, there isn't anything I can do? Not even in the settings or the control panel or anything like that? I got this computer in 2006 or so, so I don't think it's THAT old.

Also, could a virus cause something like this? I just remembered that back then, the computer had a few pesky viruses that wouldn't go away no matter how many virus scans I ran, so I'm going to try to run another virus scan to see if anything comes up. Back then, I was able to use it without any reboot loops, although it became a little slow. Could leaving my computer like that for so long have caused something like this?

SUEOHIO

SUE
If a computer isnt used at all for a long time its very possible that lots of things can go wrong or just wear out from age.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online