1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot Loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iri96, May 11, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Iri96

Iri96 Thread Starter

Hey everyone, nice to meet you all. I'm currently writing this on my phone at work so I don't have access to my PC, I will update with pertinent information as soon as I can.

So here's the problem. I finished building my first PC a few weeks ago now after having bought the parts a month or two at a time. Specs are:

Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz 8MB Smart Cache CPU
    Cooler Master MasterAir 4 Pro CPU Fan
    Sapphire AMD RX580 8gb Nitro+ GPU
    Corsair CX500 Bronze 80+ PSU (Which was recently upgraded to a InterTech CP750 Plus)
    Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz Black (2x8GB) RAM
    Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard
    CiT GForce Black/Blue case
    1 80GB HDD (OS) (Reformatted prior to installing it in PC)
    1 500GB HDD (Same, no OS)
    Windows 10 Creators Update

Now, none of the parts were opened (minus the HDDs that came from my old PC) prior to me assembling the PC, cause I know that's bad. So, I finally finish building it, plug in all the cables, and turn it on. When I did, it lasted for about 3 seconds then turned off. This went on for about 10 minutes or so, then it seemed to have stabilized itself for a bit as I managed to get it to stay on for the night. Dad turns it off the next morning cause it had been on all night (fair enough), and it stayed that way until I got home and tried to turn it on and it wouldn't. So I just shrugged and left it when it started about 5 minutes after I'd pressed the on switch, except it went into another on-off loop that probably lasted a fraction of a second each before staying on again. This continues for nearly a month. (Meanwhile, during this period dad pokes in it and finds I didn't click in the CPU fan properly and redid it for me.) Few more weeks I start prodding around and I noticed that, whenever I unplug the 4+4 connector pin in the top left corner, the whole thing boots perfectly fine, but when I plug it back in the boot loops start again, so at this point we end up getting a new PSU just incase. Upon installing it however, the problem still persists. Dad and I are both confused, we have no idea what's going on and I'm trying not to spend more money on pieces I might not need. Thank you.

P.S. Sorry if some things sound confusing, I've been living in Italy for a very long time and sometimes I forget how to English.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Sponsor

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

4. Iri96

Iri96 Thread Starter

I've tried it with one of my friends PSUs as well and it still kept rebooting.

I'll look through the guide and try testing it outside the case as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you saying the system completes POST and you are getting a display on the monitor ie motherboard splash screen and or POST data? If so, that should not occur with the aux pw connector removed. The system may run however it will not have a display.
    As posted above, attempt the out of case build following the instructions referenced.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Iri96

Iri96 Thread Starter

No, I don't get anywhere, the computer just starts up, lights up and stays there.

But yeah, I'm going to try the out of case build when I get home. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

7. Iri96

Iri96 Thread Starter

Quick update pertaining to the issue.

I've determined thanks to a friend that it is, indeed, the RAM causing a problem with the PC. Turns out the specific model I have (HX424C15FB2K2/16) is incompatible with the Z270 series of motherboards...or every other ASUS motherboard I can find. Does anyone know of a motherboard that supports that RAM model? Cause for some reason, here in Italy it's cheaper to buy a MOBO that it is a RAM card. (At least where I'm looking.)

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will need to look on the support page for whatever board you want. Compatible ram will be listed; ie this is ram that has been tested and found to work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice