1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot -> OS not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vermea, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

I always seem to come across the most obscure errors.

This one takes place on reboot. If I go to shut down and select "restart", the computer will turn off and back on like normal, but then it will give me the message "Operating System Not Found" as if I didn't have an OS or my HDD was corrupt or not there at all. But if I select "Shut Down" and let it turn off then I manually turn it back on, it boots up just fine.

I haven't tried to fix it because I have NO idea where to even START. Maybe one of you guys might have an idea?

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

take a look at the bios settings. i think you can get to bios by hitting the del key right when you turn on the computer. thats a wierd situation though, because your computer should be looking in your hdd for your os first, so either your hard drive is going to fall apart soon, or your bios isn't seeing it after restart for some reason.
    if the hdd is listed in the bios correctly, then i would backup anything important you have saved to it.

3. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Heh, not exactly the response I was looking for. "Oh, by the way, you're about to have to spend $50 in the near future on a new harddrive!" :) Next time I reboot I'll check it out and if it IS listed then I'll go ahead and do a full backup of my HDD. Let's see, 12.6gb hdd should take something like 11 cd's...*sigh* how fun. I have Nero, would you reccomend using that to backup my harddrive?

edit: Just so you dont think my math is WAY off, only 8gb of the 12.6gb hdd is being used :p

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

ive only used nero once, on my friends laptop, but roxio just dissapointed me greatly, so i had to download some freeware software. ive never heard anything bad about nero, so i would say yes.
    btw, did your computer come with system restore or application recovery cds? if so, you would only have to backup the files on the hdd that aren't on those.
    but if you're not that concerned with the 2 or 3 cds you may save, go ahead and back it all up... it's a bit of a headache sorting through all those files.

5. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

oh, and if you want a backup program that will burn directly to your cdr drive, i use BackUp Maker v3.0

http://www.backupmaker.com/

6. IBM

IBM

um, what os are you using?

if it's XP:
    you might first want to run chkdsk to see what it reports on your system's hdd?

ChkDsk explained

Hope this helps.. :)
    But yeah, like kerri siad, you might want to backup relevent data, stuff you wouldn't want to lose.

7. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

8. IBM

IBM

right, let's hope chkdsk if available on this system clarifies this.. and that the hdd is not damaged and that maybe it's the registry.. in which case it can be fixed...

9. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

I had forgotten about this part of it. When I boot up, it goes through detecting Ultra66 Bus master (my IDE controller) and when it can't find my OS, it says "Ultra66 BIOS Not Installed" and that causes my HDD not to be seen because the IDE controller isn't working properly when it does that. It's currenly using BIOS V1.11. I don't know how to update it and I don't even know if there ARE any updates. Any suggestions?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice