1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gregski, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

After posting on here a while ago that my computer (Dell 4300 w/XP Home SP2) was rebooting approximately 3 times a day. Most replies pointed me towards the power supply. I did the calculations and because of the items I've added (2nd hard drive, dvd burner, usb 2.0), my power supply was certainly being taxed. I upgraded the old 250W to a 500W. The problem is still there. About every 8 hours or so it will reboot, no matter what I am doing, or not doing. There are no other symtoms whatsoever. So I am wondering where to start looking from here. Can anybody help?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Look at temperatures, airflow in the case, dust build up etx.

3. Christia

Christia

It sounds like the mydoom virus to me, personally... or could be a driver that's not updated... First, I'd visit Windows Update and see if there's any Optional Hardware update option. If you don't see any, try going to the control panel and check for the updates for every harddrive you have to make sure you have the best possible match. If this doesn't work, then you most likely have a virus. I'd suggest downloading the trial version of Norton Anti Virus (You will need to register.) If Norton doesn't detect anything, than your most likely problem is Windows SP2 (This causes tons of problems on SO MANY computers, it even did on mine 'til I unistalled it.)

But one thing at a time, try my first three suggestions first, and then post back :)

4. gurutech

gurutech

Check your Event Log, it may point you in the right direction (providing you have NT, 2K, or XP)

5. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Christia. All my updates are in order. A complete virus scan shows nothing. I religiously run AdAware and SpyBot. With the new PSU a fan was added. I also regularly clean the inside of my tower. My forehead is getting plenty sore from beating against the wall. Any other ideas, short of XP reinstall?

6. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

This is a new one to me, gurutech. Where is the event log and what am I looking for?

7. natcom

natcom

do you get a BSOD when it reboot ?

8. natcom

natcom

on the event viewer you need to take look at the system log anything with red errors on it need to be check you can post the event ID here and the source and we can help you find out what it mean

9. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

Not at all....just goes thru the normal start-up routine as if I just turned it on. No disc check or anything.

10. natcom

natcom

11. natcom

natcom

but is not a 100% sure that it will work that is why you need to turn off the auto reboot on error so that we can take a look at the error you get from the BSOD here is how to do so http://www.d-a-l.com/xpreboots.php

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice