'Reboot & select proper boot drive'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aqol45

Help needed guys

Desktop been working with no issues then today restarted & stuck on BIOS splash screen .... will eventually get a flashing cursor on left hand side & then mins later will get ''Reboot & select proper boot drive'

I can hit DEL at start up & then ALT F2 for ASUS EZ Flash utility in order to update BIOS - i have placed new BIOS on FAT32 USB stick BUT after many, many mins get 'no existing drives'??!! The whole experience is so slow though with getting into BIOS

I have checked boot order in BIOS & can see PC points to my Scandisk 240gb SSD drive but obviously does not load

I am unable to boot into SAFE MODE

I have a placed windows 10 ISO on USB stick & changed boot order ... no joy as PC is unable to see USB stick

I have disconnected everything i dont need - only monitor, USB mouse & keyboard, power

I am therefore at a loss as what is wrong ..... Mobo, SSD Drive, PSU, etc

Please can anyone provide any assistance?

ASUS A78l-M mobo
Windows 10
240gb Scandisk SSD drive

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What exactly did you do to that computer BEFORE the Reboot and select proper boot drive message occurred?

crjdriver

I have a placed windows 10 ISO on USB
If you just copied the iso to the usb, that will never work. You must use software to create the install usb from the iso. Easiest way is to use the media creation tool. Another option would be to use rufus to make the usb.
no joy as PC is unable to see USB stick
You have an asus motherboard. Access the quick boot menu by hitting the F8 key during POST. Note IF you have fast boot enabled in the bios, you may have to disable fast boot in order to use the boot menu. Another option is to put the properly made install usb in a usb port. Pw ON and enter the bios. Set the usb as the first boot device; save settings and exit. Now restart and you should get the windows setup program to install windows.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Set the usb as the first boot device; save settings and exit. Now restart and you should get the windows setup program to install windows.
I've seen that get stuck in a loop where it continues to boot from the flash drive if you don't remove it. Asus should allow you to override the boot device for this boot only. At least mine does. That's the best way to do it if you can't catch the boot menu.

crjdriver

I've seen that get stuck in a loop where it continues to boot from the flash drive if you don't remove it. Asus should allow you to override the boot device for this boot only. At least mine does. That's the best way to do it if you can't catch the boot menu.
That is what I said [F8 key during POST] The quote is just the second option or way to boot from the usb.

aqol45

I have changed sata cable to SSD drive - no difference
I have used Rufus to put ISO on USB drive - despite changing boot priority, i am unable to get PC to recognise

Ordered a new HD - fingers crossed that works

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online