1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot shortcut

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by joyof60, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

When Windows reboots it always asks for the password to log on to my profile. I'm not trying to reset a password and I well know my password but is there a shortcut to bypass this step each time the computer reboots? If I reboot and walk away each time when I return I still have to wait while windows loads my profile before I can work. Is there a workaround for this? I am the only person who uses the machine and I don't have issues with others using my machine under my profile. I understand that it is not cool to ask for ways to reset password not known or otherwise, (I do see these threads locked all the time) and that is not what I am asking. I know my password, I just get tired of logging in after each reboot.
    Thanks for any help.
    Using Windows 7 64bit

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

You can skip the log in screen by re-setting your password to a blank, then it won't ask for it.

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts then select 'Change your Password'

Type your password in where prompted and leave the new password and confirm password boxes empty, click on Change Password and you're done.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Or if you need to have a password (e.g., for file sharing/restricting purposes) you can set it up to automatically login to your account. To do so, in a Run box type the command:

control userpasswords2

If you want to have the auto login only on a Restart, but require a password on a boot after power on, I do not know of any way to do that.

4. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot. You guys are the absolute best!

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice