1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thepc4u, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

I have a amd athlon w/ 64 mb ram and a samsung 10 gig HD. I have reformated fdisk th partitions and tried two diferent hard drives and everytime I boot into and the windows ME screen comes up I get rebooted and for some reason it will not let me into windows I have tried everything. Do u think that maybe installing 98se it will solve the problem, is the motherboard bad, or is the memory bad.

Thanks alot for you help,
    thepc4you:eek:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

next time come back in safe mode go to searcg & tyoe in ASD......... see the results of that as it will tell you how to fix it if it sees the problem... ASD is automatic skip driver

3. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

It won't let me go into safe mode it keeps telling me I need to reboot.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You say you formatted and fdisked. Did you fdisk first and then format? That is the order to do that. Did you reboot after FDisk?
    You need to do that.
    You can Download DOCMemory and test your RAM from Dos using a Floppy.
    www.simmtester.com

6. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

Yes I did everything in that order and I will try the memory tester.

7. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

Please help me! I tried to install win 98 se and the it says that the directory structure in scandisk has several files that are corrupt and it is a brand new hard drive.

8. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

I would go to www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor and download dataadvisor. Make the boot floppy and run the program to be absolutely certain that there is nothing wrong with your hard drive.

Assuming that its Ok I would fdisk again and create two partitions one for data and one for Windows. Then format both and reboot. Then run scandisk again from your boot floppy to ensure the integrity of the partitions just created.

Assuming that this is OK, you can then go ahead and install Windows. As soon as it is in I would boot to safe mode and run scandisk again on the thorough option. If that's Ok then you can complete the reinstall back in normal mode.

9. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

ok I have replaced the memory, tried three hard drives, partitiioned the harddrive to 70% C: drive and 30% system save and everytime I go into the scan disk I take two hours trying to to fix the directory structure. I guess the only theing left is for me to change the mother board out. I have tried to look up the company and it is called Protek I have found no info on that. I am trying hard here but no success. Thanks of all your help!!

thepc4you

10. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

ok I have replaced the memory, tried three hard drives, partitiioned the harddrive to 70% C: drive and 30% system save and everytime I go into the scan disk I take two hours trying to to fix the directory structure. I guess the only theing left is for me to change the mother board out. I have tried to look up the company and it is called Protek I have found no info on that. I am trying hard here but no success. Thanks of all your help!!

thepc4you

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

12. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Just a couple of questions. After you create your partitions are you making the primary partition active? Are you using a floppy disk to partition and format your drives? If so, your boot disk may be corrupt. I would try another boot disk or better yet, boot straight to the CD ( if you can set the CDRom to be first in the booting order in your BIOS.) and partition/format using the CD instead of the floppy. At the very least I would try copying the Windows Cd to the hard drive and run setup from there. Just some thoughts. Good luck!. KW1

One other thought, if your BIOS has a virus program installed, you will have to disable it before you can get a good install.

13. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

I would check your boot floppy for a boot sector virus. Three hard drives all with the same problem is too much of a co-incidence.

Get a friend with an UTD version of any decent AV program to scan your floppy for you. If it has a boot sector virus bin it and create another clean one.

A BS virus could explain why the partition table is getting corrupted every time you use it to try and install Windows.

14. thepc4u

thepc4u Thread Starter

I have tried everything. I have replaced the hard drive, I replaced the memory, tried a bootable cd, copied files to hard drive the only other option I know is to replace the motherboard or processor.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice