Rebooting during games and other things

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rajahten

Hello. I just got a top of the line computer - 1 gig ram, GeForce 7800GT, 3800+ AMd dual core processors.
My problem is - and I apologize for posting this on both the game forums and here, i wasnt sure which to post on - that whenever I run a game for anywhere between 5minutes to 2 hours, the computer quickly gives a blue screen and reboots. I have changed video cards, changed ram, formatted windows twice. My cpu temperature is normal, my video card temperature is 48 degrees, 55 when the card is being really used. I have tested for overheating issues, and memory leaks. Sometimes my computer reboots if I run an application, or even right click on the desktop.
Please help.. I've done all that I can. All my drivers are up to date, including directx.
=(
I just dont know what to do anymore.
Games I play are - World of Warcraft, doom3, Call of Duty 2, all of which get rebooted.. although warcraft can go pretty long without a reboot as it's not so demanding on video card as the others.

Have you checked your Event Logs?

Right-click "My Computer" and expand "Event Viewer".

Check the logs right after your computer reboots and look for any errors and/or warnings. Post what you find here and someone will give you a hand.

have you tried changing the CPU and hard drives? Because you said that things as simple as right-clicking on the desktop can cause a reboot... Maybe you have a faulty HD or CPU.

Rajahten

Actually, my stepdad (who owns his own computer business and set the comp up for me) spoke to his technician peoples or whatever, they said that people with a SATA hard drive as big and new as mine (250gig) have had the same issue. So I am going to replace the harddrive and install windows and see how it goes, and then give you guys a heads up. Thanks.

it sounds more like a faulty powersupply or one not rated for the watts your using.

I'm bumping this because I'm also having a similar issue, BUT, my issue is only when playing final fantasy XI, like him I've changed a lot of things, but to no avail I can't get it to stop randomly rebooting. But, final fantasy is the only game I can get it to reset in, I've tried many other games but can't get it to restart... Wierd isnt' it?

Also the power trick is a no go, it was already set to always on, also the powersupply isn't at fault since it's one listed from Tyan as trusted and registered powersupply for this mobo.

Specs:
CPU/s:AMD Opteron 246'ers X2
Mobo:Tyan Thunder K8WE
Ram:Kingston pc3200 registered/ecc 512meg X4
GFX card: Asus ATI Radeon 850xt
Soundcard:On board
HD:WD 80gig 7200 rpm X2

I've got sort of the same problem as you. Everytime i try to run Half Life 2, my screen goes black, then the resolution on the desktop goes huge, then the screen goes black again and the PC reboots.

I noticed you said you see a blue screen for a second and then it reboots. Seeing the contents of the BSOD could be helpful in diagnosing the problem. Sometimes it gives you the name of the file (if any) that is specificially causing the problem. It could be something as small as bad drivers for your video card, sound card, etc.

To disable automatic restart:

• Right click on My Computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click Advanced
  • Navigate to Startup and Recovery
  • Click Settings
  • Make sure the box next to Automatically Restart is not checked

Now, whenever your computer would restart by itself, it will give you the ol' Blue Screen of Death. Copy down the relevant information (hexadecimal code, parameters, error name, file causing it, etc.) and post it here for review. Good luck! (y)

<----gets no bluescreen, damn thing just blips to bios then back to OS -.-

And auto-restart is already turned off.... I think it's the graphics card since it's a 850XT, I bought a pair of 6600's last night after it randomly rebooted on me in FFXI in a burning circle for the peacock charm and since I was 2 players we all died and it was a waste of all my ****ing seals to get the orb..... BLAH.... Bought them out of anger... if this doesn't fix it I'm going to be even more pissed off... but also I get to see the power of SLI, though reviews on those graphics cards haven't been very good on the fps, I'll see what 2 of them can do, since all the reviews were only running 1 .-.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online