1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rebooting Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oldjunk, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I get a message in DOS: 162-System Options Not Set. I removed the hard drive, and then reinstalled it and the computer shows me this screen. It also says I may need to replace the battery, but I don't think it's a battery issue.

The hard drive worked perfectly before I removed it (Windows XP, Service pack 2).

Can someone walk me through the steps to get my computer functioning again. The screen shows my boot menu and setup options.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

I feel compelled to ask why you removed the hard drive. It's apparent that you must have either damaged it in the process (bent pins ??) or it isn't plugged in all the way. You may have damaged something else if you didn't use proper procedure. Please explain.

3. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I removed it to install it into another computer. But, I never did. Guess I shouldn't have taken it out of its original computer. It's not damaged, physically--to the best of my knowledge. How do I get it back, up and running?

Thanks, Suferdude2

Mike

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Enter the BIOS routine by pressing the key indicated at first boot splash screen and see if the hard drive is being detected. If it isn't, then I would replace the data ribbon cable. There is a good chance that it may have been damaged in the process of unplugging and replugging. It's a common occurrence.

5. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I have the screen that shows "boot menu" and "setup". What do I choose?

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

Choose setup. When you get into the BIOS screen, look to see that you have a primary master hard drive being detected. It will be listed with the manufacturers name and model number. If there is nothing listed in the primary channel, you will need to check all cables, replace is better. Make sure it didn't come unplugged from the MOBO. If a new cable doesn't help, you likely have either a bad hard drive or a bad MOBO.

Since you say it worked well before, I suspect the cable.

7. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    When I press F10 (setup), a blinking dash shows. What do I type in?

8. surferdude2

surferdude2

You don't have to type anything to enter the BIOS setup routine. Normally pressing the key indicated when booting will take you directly to the BIOS setup screen with all the menu options clearly visible. There is no typing of text ever required.

This is sounding like a BIOS chip failure. That could happen if you didn't take proper precautions for protecting the MOBO components from static electricity when working in there.

What is the make and model of your computer?

9. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    It's a Compaq dc5000 ut(PB466A) It also says: "If this message presists, you may need to replace the onboard battery." Could it really be the battery?

Also, this is not the original hard drive for this computer.

When I press F10 it seems to recognize the setup choice, but the screen remains the same. No BIOS menu options are displayed.

10. surferdude2

surferdude2

Yes, it's very possible that it could need a new CMOS backup battery.

If the operating system on that hard drive was installed when the drive was in some other computer, it will not work properly in a different one. It is possible that you will need to get the manufacturers diagnostic disk and use it to install the drive properly. Get the make and model of the drive and go to the link below and download the necessary tool for testing the drive.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Scroll down the left side of that page and click on "Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities."

11. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, I'll try installing a new battery. I'm assuming this is the battery located on the MB?

12. surferdude2

surferdude2

Yes, that's the one that backs up the memory in the CMOS chip so that you can shut the computer down without losing the setup. It's usually a CR2032 type and not expensive. I get a card of five for under six dollars. Any computer over five years old should have its battery replaced just as a standard routine.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-CR2032-lithium-batteries-pack/dp/B000X107GI

13. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I bought the battery. Now I need installing instructions. Exactly what is the procedure regarding it and the HD?

I didn't mention that I didn't plug in the little 8 pin plug into the HD. It didn't seem to fit the slot. Do I need to try this again, or does it make a difference?

Also, assuming I'm lucky and don't get the same message after installing the new battery, what do I do when getting into Setup to get back into the installed XP?

Thanks,
    Mike

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!