1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rebooting in the "dark"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Major_Truth, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major_Truth

Major_Truth Thread Starter

When I try to start up my system, the fan stays running loudly, and the monitor will not display anything.

The fan usually starts loud, then after the system is done booting up, it becomes quiet, which has always been normal.

If I hit the "enter" key, the system reboots right away, but still no change. It just sits idle with nothing displayed, and fan running loudly.

Up to this point, the computer was not showing any symptoms.

Over the years, I have had my fair share of diagnosing problems, and through my own understanding *usually by trial and error", or support online by googling symptoms, or tech support forums such as this one, the problems are usually resolved.

But this is a new one for me, where I can't even "see" what is going on.

If it was just no monitor signal, I would think it was a bad monitor, or display card.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    It might be a dying power supply. Disconnect everything except the graphics card, hard drive, and keyboard.

3. Major_Truth

Major_Truth Thread Starter

My current monitor was connected to the video card via DVI. I tried it with the basic VGA connection, so it now displays the boot up screens.

It turns out that the system file became corrupt.

When I tried to reinstall XP, I initially had a problem with my genuine Product Key not validating, but once I restarted the process, there was an enhanced Product Key screen and it went through on the first try. Also, during the initial reinstall, it was asking me for name and organization before the Product Key. So, I am still not sure what that was about.

Now the issue I have is that it wants an Admin password, which I never created. I tried to reset or change it through safe mode, but it is still requiring it for safe mode as well.

And without it I can't get into Windows. =(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice