1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rebooting

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by duhall, Jan 7, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. duhall

duhall Thread Starter

I took windows off my dell laptop and installed Linux. I forgot my password and when trying to reboot, I do not get to the BIOS screen? I hit shift, I am returned to the log in screen.

2. Sponsor

3. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Try downloading http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ Easy bcd... click on "rebuild MBR"

4. duhall

duhall Thread Starter

But I am logged out of the laptop. I cannot get in it.

5. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    If you know how to get into the BIOS (you can use a Windows disk or stick pen copy of Windows) select troubleshooting and then "command prompt" once you get to command prompt you will need to locate your directory containing Windows, usually D: (its C: when booted up to Windows) it's usually D: before Windows boots up. Type diskpart
    Then 'list disk'
    Locate the one that has the most data on it. That's your Windows drive.
    Reboot
    Once again, enter the BIOS (command prompt) Change directory to the Windows directory (usually by typing ' D: ' ((without the quotes))) your cursor should be blinking beside D: now.
    Enter these commands:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr (hit enter)
    bootrec.exe /fixboot (hit enter)
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd (hit enter)

That should do it. Usually if you reboot 3 times in a row, the system will go to the "troubleshooting" screen. You should be able to get into "command prompt" there. Otherwise, you will need a Windows disk to get in.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Unfortunately the OP said he is not able to get to the BIOS screen

7. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Please put your exact computer specs and name of laptop and I will find out how for you to get in the BIOS.

8. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Press F2 when the Dell logo appears. Press every few seconds until the messageEntering Setup appears. Older Dell desktops and laptops may instead use Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Del to enter BIOS. Older Dell laptops may use Fn+Esc or Fn+F1.Nov 14, 2017

9. saikee

saikee

Regardless how good is the intention helping a member to hack a PC to bypass the password has been in the past viewed by this forum as a serious breach worthy of banning. Wonder if the goal post has been moved.

10. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    I saw no evidence of that. He intimated it was his laptop. I didn't notice anything about 'bypassing the password'. What are you referring to?

11. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    This is the opening post:

Note: according to the thread starter, there is no Windows operating system on his laptop any longer.
    I read it as he's forgotten the password to booting into Linux.
    Sounds like he needs a password for his bios, also.

imo, saikee has a point about help.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see plenty of ambiguity in this thread, but I do not see any request for password bypassing nor any help for doing so.

Please don't expend too much energy trying for a resolution here unless duhall shows renewed interest--his only two posts were on Jan. 7.

Paul23 likes this.
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202493