1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboots while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dig0, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

Hello,

First of all, here are my PC specs:

- i5 4690k cpu
    - Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 mobo
    - 16gb (2x8gb) crucial ballistix sport ram
    - XFX R9 280 gpu
    - Corsair HX850 modular psu

I am having an issue with my machine rebooting. Prior to installation of my first R9 280, I could run games without issue. When I installed my 280, I was getting some vertical lines of contrasting color, followed by looping sound crashes. I was then forced to reboot as the video driver failed. This could also be triggered by running gpu stress tests. I removed the 280, and reinstalled my two 5770s in crossfire, and had no issues. I RMAd the 280, and it recently arrived. After installing it, I ran the FurMark gpu stress test at max load for 1.5 hours without issue (max temp was 69C). I tried running CS:GO earlier, and within 10 minutes, the cpu rebooted twice. There were no signs of overheating, and no other visible symptoms. I have the most up-to-date drivers installed, and I have tried reverting to older drivers, to no avail. I am literally at a loss for ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should note, I have ran all of the Prime95 tests for numerous hours, with no instability issues. I also just ran WhoCrashed, and after analysis, it did not recognize any recent crashes.

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

does your computer just freeze or auto-reboot ????
    U haven't said what Hard drive set up U are using ???
    HHDs
    SSDs ??????
    I have been playing COD AW PC for last fiew days----
    I have a SSD O/S / storage HHD set up with windows 7 home premium ---
    when I first installed windows 7 on my SSD I had followed everybody advice & optimized
    it---turned Page File way down & turned off PreFetch & SuperFetch.
    well--
    I kept getting """low memory""" warnings from windows 7 with COD AW running--
    to get my system stable for COD AW ---I had to turn Page FIle back to """System Select''''
    even though I have 8 GBs of ram-----
    my computer just Froze several times while I was trying to figure out what was going wrong--
    -----
    doing some reading ,, the latest generations of SSDs (200gb +) are a lot tougher than the earlier ones---
    they will live a lot longer than U could take to fill them up with cache writes to the SSDs over the years--
    just need to turn off defrag for the SSD----windows 7 & above does this automatically--
    James

3. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

The computer reboots itself. I'll be mid-game and a second later I'm seeing the BIOS after the reboot. I forgot to mention I am using a SSD, a Samsung 850 Pro. Page file has been unaltered; however, I have disabled hibernation to rid myself of the file associated with that.

4. jamesx121

jamesx121

yeah
    at the time I thought a 120 gb SSD would be plenty with
    my pictures ,,stuff on HHD
    now I regret it.
    with COD AW wanting 55 GB storage &
    GTA 5 wanting 60 GB storage
    I wish I had a 300 or bigger SSD.
    I got my Steam Game storage file on my HHD and I,m
    wondering how much better large scale games
    would play on the SSD. Especially like GTA 5
    I know this isn't helping your present problem.
    James

5. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

I should also note that I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit, fully updated.

Anyone have some suggestions?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice