1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rebuilding a PC and need help !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NewBie1975, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NewBie1975

NewBie1975 Thread Starter

Hi There,

The Hard Drive My Uncle's PC died a couple of weeks ago. The PC had a 160GB SATA 150 HD in it and it was quite expensive to get a like - 4 - like .....after researching on teh internet it appeared that SATA was backward compatable so I brought a 500GB SATA 3gb/s Hard drive.

I installed it and the BIOS picked it up straight away and changed the boot order so that it would boot from the CD first but but when I put his copy of Windows XP in the CDROM and tried to boot to it nothing happened...

When it boots up it recognises the CD ROM and the HDD, and then asks to press any key to boot from CD but when I press any key nothing happens (And before you asked I have not looked for the "ANY" key on the keyboard lol - The old ones are always the best :) )

I know the CD is good and bootable (as tried it in another PC) but I also tried another bootable CD in my uncles pc and it will not even attempt to boot from it.

When i've worked on my uncles PC before when you try to boot from the CD you normally get full stops across the screen before it boots e.g.

Press Any Key to boot from cd............

Boot ok

Any ideas....

The CD is a DVD writer

Many Thanks

Newbie1975

2. rugrat

rugrat

Just a thought, I have had that happen before and went into the BIOS and disabled all boot devices except the CD and got it to work.

3. NewBie1975

NewBie1975 Thread Starter

Cheers for that mate but I've got it working but i'm still confused....

The device in the PC is a DVD re-writer and it wouldnt boot on any of my CD's so I took the CD writer from my PC - put it in my uncles pc and then I could boot ok into windows xp and reinstalled it but.....

when i re-connected the DVD re-writer it wouldnt read any official cd's but it read a couple that i burnt ok ?

Do you think that the DVD writer is on its way out ?

4. rugrat

rugrat

It could be. You can try a CD cleaner (basically a cd with brushes on it) as dirt on the lens could cause issues. Glad you got the system loaded.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice