Rebuilding old Mac w/o OS (7.x), can DL fr Apple, but need to split up 4 floppies

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WlvnSpectre

I looked up in the Macintosh museum pages, found the highest MacOS that it will run(7.xx), but they will only download the CD for installation. I need to split it up into floppies. Can anybody help me with how to split the files up.

PS
I haven't regulary used a Mac since 1990 when colour Macs were the cool new thing.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Any chance of getting your hands on an external cd?

WlvnSpectre

Unfortunately no... the main impeadanceis that I don't have a burner of my own, and being on the Windows side of things I don't know what I would have to do to burn a copy for a Mac without using a Mac. (Did I mention that I haven't use a Mac scince 1990? I really like them for operating, but am very unknolageable about Mac hardware vs Windows hardware)

It should automatically split it for you during download.
Of course, you could always go to ebay and buy an OS real cheap............. :)
Good luck!

WlvnSpectre

Did I forget to mention the people I recieved this from (they were going to trash it) had it locked down with third party security and file management software. I can't use the Mac to get the download. Can I extract on a PC, because my first instinct is no.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If it's locked down that tight, maybe you can't even install software?

WlvnSpectre

That's the trick...

1) To install ANY software I'd have to have an Engineer/Administrator Password...
2) To overwrite the system I need to format the drive...
3) To Format the drive I need to have the Engineer/Administrator Password...
4) To override the Engineer/Administrator Password I have to re-install the MacOS...
5) To get the MacOS I, as I understand it, can only get it in CD-ROM (ISO) download from Apple.
6) To splitit up properly I need a Mac, or Emulator I can depend on, to split it up into floppies.
7) Goto 1)

:(

help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Perhaps the reason the people wanted to trash it :eek:

:)

See here: http://search.ebay.com/Mac-OS_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
There are a bunch of Mac OS' for sale.........cheap!
Put an OS cd in the tray. Tell the computer to "initialize and install". It should wipe the HD clean, and install the OS. In your #4, you say to override the passwod, you have to re-install the Mac OS. This should do it.

WlvnSpectre

You see, it doesn't have a tray, because it doesn't have a CD-ROM. Apparently they installed most of their software from their network.

That is why I wanted to get floppies, but apple only had the OS I needed in CD Download (an ISO I think).

Wait, was this thing made before or after the CHRP Initiative started???
Maybe I could use my PC's CD-ROM!
OK... where did I put my electronics tools and my bookmark for the Apple ...Museum I think its called.

I'll get back to you when I get a chance to crack the case on the Mac.
Thanks

WolvenSpectre

I didn't spend much time looking, but there may be some OS' there on floppies (OS 7.1)?
You may be able to get an external cd rom for it on ebay also. You can get almost anything at ebay.............

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online