1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rebuilt old PC, posts then turns off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booey1, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Hey

So I've rebuilt an an old pc.

It's an old Athlon 1400 CPU, 300w psu and I'm not sure what the mobo is.

It turns on, fan kicks in, psu seems to work. It posts with a single beeb, displays the GPU (Geforce 5200 - 32mb) and then just turns of.

I tried replacing the cpu thermal paste in case it was over heating, but no luck.

I have checked the HDD in another computer and it boots fine.

Any ideas?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With that old of a system, the very first thing I would do would be to inspect the board for leaking capacitors. Get a bright light and see if you find any that look like the pics below.

Attached Files:

3. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

So I'm looking for anything with slight crystalisation? Then what?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you find any that look like those pics, you have found your problem.

If they ALL look ok, then you are going to have to start swapping parts with known good ones to find the failed part.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other note it can sometimes be almost impossible to see a failed cap until you pull the board out of the case. I have had a few mb that I could not see the bad caps until the board was out of the case and sitting in front of me.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

What does "rebuilt" mean? Just what did you change in the old system? Was it running before the rebuild? Have you tested the power supply? Along with the motherboard, that would be the other leading candidate.

7. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I've added in an AGP GPU and HDD, but otherwise it's all the same. It was not running before the re-build I don't think, but it would have been 2+ years ago. How do I test the psu? I've looked at the capacitors, but I'm going to look again now.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058120