reccomend some parts for a custom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

corbs132

Hey there. I'm building a semi-budget gaming pc. i am going to set aside aroudn 600-700 dollars for a new computer. I will post some minimum's and i really want you guys to help out with the rest like best deal for the money and expandability.

Mobo: at least 5 pci and 1 agp. must be overclockable

Processor: something made by intel, i dont like amd. i hear dual core is good? maybe even core 2 duo

Memory: high frequency so i can overclock my pentium :) at least 1g

Gfx card: at least 128mb any brand.

Pci components: wirless card (g), ide expansions, etc usefull (sp?) stuff

I have hard drives, but I want the mobo to support ide and sata hdds.

is this realistic? i have optical drives, and usb 2.0 and firewire pci slots.

i also have a sound card for pci but its kinda crappy even though its sound blaster

i also have a monitor, but i need better speakers then my old (very very old) del speakers from my first pc.

corbs132 said:
Hey there. I'm building a semi-budget gaming pc. i am going to set aside aroudn 600-700 dollars for a new computer. I will post some minimum's and i really want you guys to help out with the rest like best deal for the money and expandability.

Hi,

Although I replied, I didn't tell you everything that you wanted to hear. However, take a look and do some research and you might have some additional ideas on what you want to do. Hey, this is my opinion, nothing else.

Mobo: at least 5 pci and 1 agp. must be overclockable

You might want to rethink this process. If you are building a new one, go for pci-e and not AGP. I recommend the A8N series boards (depending upon what you want to do, choose your own version) by ASUS. (these are AMD boards, but read on)

Processor: something made by intel, i dont like amd. i hear dual core is good? maybe even core 2 duo

If for gaming, go amd, they are better for gaming, more reasonably priced, overclock better, and run cooler as a rule. They have just lowered the price of the dual core chips to half price to compete with the new Conroe chip by intel. If you want a single core chip that is a great one and very overclockable, take a look at the 3700+ san diego or the 3800+ Venice. Both great gaming chips.

Memory: high frequency so i can overclock my pentium :) at least 1g

There are many good ones out there, so I won't specifically recommend. Just make sure you have the memory on the QVL list for your motherboard.

Gfx card: at least 128mb any brand.

For gaming, go for the 256mb. I recommend ATI as a personal choice.

Pci components: wirless card (g), ide expansions, etc usefull (sp?) stuff

I have hard drives, but I want the mobo to support ide and sata hdds.

Most newer ones do.

is this realistic? i have optical drives, and usb 2.0 and firewire pci slots.

Sure is, most newer boards offer firewire and the optical drive things and usb 2.0 are standard.

i also have a sound card for pci but its kinda crappy even though its sound blaster

If you get a new board, the onboard stuff is pretty darn good. I would look to use that initially until you evaluation if it is better than what you are using. Some of the newer ones (onboard audio) are better than some of the older sound blaster cards.

i also have a monitor, but i need better speakers then my old (very very old) del speakers from my first pc.

corbs132

thanks for the great response, i think ill get an amd. i just dont like them because i never used one before. so the motherboard allows for bios that is overclockable?

corbs132 said:
thanks for the great response, i think ill get an amd. i just dont like them because i never used one before. so the motherboard allows for bios that is overclockable?
Those boards are very overclockable. You can also look at Abit, DFI, and Gigabyte boards. The AMD just makes a better gaming chip for a cheaper price. If you get a chance, go to some of the gaming websites and read the reviews. If bucks is the bottom line, you won't beat for a single core chip the Venice chip or the San Diego chip for the price. If you get a chance, go to some of the vendors and look for the AMD dual core 4200+.....they are the ones that have the price chopped in half recently, and they are cheaper in the first place than a comparable Intel chip.

Last, but not least....don't skimp on a power supply for this computer. Purchase either an Antec, Enermax, OCZ, Silverstone or similar unit in the 600 watt range. That way, you can add things in the next year or two and not have to redo the power supply. Cheap power supplies cost you more money in the long run. Take a look for some of these models on NewEgg.com...they are one of the most reasonable places on the net and have great service after the sale. Been there and done that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online