1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reccomendations for desktop computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elsb, Feb 17, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

I currently have Win XP and Win 7 towers. If I wanted to upgrade, do you have recommendations of what computer to order? I also have to switch from Outlook Express to another email client, if I upgrade the OS. Any ideas of an email client that is as easy and versatile as OE? Also, I will have LOTS of info to transfer to a new PC. Are there any services out there that would do a team viewer to assist with this, or I am open to suggestions on how to get this done. Thank you.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3317 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (134 GB Free); J: 76 GB (65 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G31M-ES2L

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I assume by "cpu" you are actually referring to the actual computer (cpu is a chip on the motherboard which does all of the actual work). In which case, it will boil down to how the computer will be used. For basic office type work (ie: word processing, email, web browsing), any current computer will suit you just fine. Choose based on brand preference, warranty, and your budget. I'd look for a model with at least 8GB of RAM.

As for your data, if it's important, you should have backups. And if you have backups, you have all of the knowledge necessary to move the data to a new computer. For the most part, this is simply a matter of copying the data onto media, such as a USB drive, and then copying it onto the new computer. Any software or programs, will need to be reinstalled onto the new computer.

lynx1021 likes this.
  3. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Hi. Yes. I do mean my computer tower. Sorry for the confusion.

I was hoping someone could offer some links to computers online to take a look at. I have no idea what brand etc. Not sure if refurbished would be a good idea either.

As far as moving data, installing all software etc. I am not sure I am computer savvy enough to get that done. Someone else set up my back ups on a external 80gb hard drive and on Google Drive. So, I am presuming I would need to have a computer tech transfer my data and programs.

From what I have researched, the new operating systems do not support Outlook Express. I tried Thunderbird years ago, and wasn't a fan. So was wondering if there were recommendations for email clients that are similar to OE.
    THANKS!!!

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

My wife used a browser called SeaMonkey, it is like the old Netscape but based on Firefox and has a built in on the PC email program. I use web based so I can access it anywhere. There is something called "windows Live mail" that I put on my friends computer with windows 7, don't know if it will work on windows 10 , don't think MS supports it anymore. I think windows 10 Pro has an email program but from what I heard it is a pain to set up. There were some issues where people were trying to use it and it was sending emails with a scrambled return address.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Thank you for the info!!! Do you know if the info in Outlook Express would transfer into SeaMonkey? Also, do oyu access it via user name and password once it is downloaded?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You can export your email from Outlook (which you should be doing anyway as a form of backup). There are various output formats which you can use. It will depend on which format SeaMonkey can read/import.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice