1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Receive but not send!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DKTaber, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Being new to Outlook Express after dumping AOL, I continue to be amazed at how inflexible it is. I would like to RECEIVE e-mail on opening OE, or anytime it's up and I'm connected (which is always since I have broadband), but I do NOT want to SEND when it is opened. The only option I can find is for BOTH send and receive on open. Anybody know a way to receive only when it's opened?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Don
    To my knowledge there is no way to separate the two functions at entry to OE. While in OE you can force OE to hold items in the Outbox until the send receive command is given by you.(see Attachment).
    Dave

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I was afraid there was no way to split the send from the receive (as you can with AOL), but just wanted to confirm it.

Thanks.

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Maybe I am confusing this, but, with the send/recieve box, that is for emails that you may write while offline that will be sent when you log on. If you you are online, OE will recieve at a time span of what you set it to. Unchecking the send/recieve box will make it to where you have to manually send what you want if you wrote any while offline.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Doyce
    Yes that would work that way but I think Don wants to receive messages normally but send what he has in the outbox at his own leisure and discretion.
    Dave

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

simple

create a subfolder of outbox = outbox2
    create email
    press send => it goes to outbox
    highlight and move emails from outbox to outbox2

move back when ready to send

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Doyce: You're not confused. Trouble is, I'm ALWAYS online except when I put my cable modem on standby...which I only do when I close the business for the day, and not always then. I also realize I could work offline by clicking "Work offline". Perhaps something like that will satisfy my needs, but I'm not in the habit of doing it. When I want to write an e-mail, I just maximize OE (it's always open) and write; just don't think about clicking work offline first.

8. deuce

deuce

Is there a reason why you can't sand emails right away? Just curious...

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Then when you finish your email just click the X in the upper right corner, it will ask if you want to save the changes, click yes, it will then tell you that it has been saved in the drafts folder. When you want to send it just open drafts, double click the one you want and click send.

10. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have had several instances where I was composing a message, and did not want to send it just yet because I intended to add to it. I just saved it (did not hit the Send button). However, by default, all created messages go into the Outbox, and the next time I opened OE, bang-zoom, it went (as did anything else in the Outbox).

I'm fully aware that I can write a message, then NOT save it, but copy it to the Draft folder. When I've put everything in it I want, I can then move it back to the Outbox and send it. Kludgy, inefficient, just don't think about doing that when I'm in a rush, and zingo, it goes out. To prevent that from happening, I unchecked "send on opening OE".

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

From the drafts folder you dont have to move it to the outbox, that will be done automatically when you click send. Basically, the way I suggested just uses the drafts folder the same as you wanted to use the outbox. There really isnt any difference except the one popup. The wording may be the problem. Just think of the drafts as the "outbox" you invision and forget about the outbox. I have been using OE for a long time and have never had a reason to even open the outbox. The email just sort of stops there on its way out. Always seemed kind of useless to me.

The only thing I see with unchecking the box is that whatever you have the timer set at to download mail is how long you will have to wait to get any off of the server unless you do it manually.

Luck. :)

12. jbcalg

jbcalg

doycej,

just to clarify for DK, i think you meant:

when working on an email, not yet final form or ready to send, then click on the X (to close) and you get a pop up asking if you want to save.
    click 'yes' and it goes into the drafts folder, waiting for further revision.
    click on the draft email to further revise, edit etc, continuing to click 'X' to send to draft folder

when it's finally ready to go, press send, off it goes to the outbox, to get sent on whatever schedule you have, or when you press send all or send/receive all

DK: the draft folder works like the 'send later' function in aol

give it some time, OE really is more robust than aol (which i've used, along with compuserve, for 10 years or so)

13. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I was not aware that's how it worked, but if it does, it might be what I need. There's a choice on the File dropdown that I had thought would do that ("Send Later"), but it doesn't. It still puts it in the Outbox, so next time you open OE (if send/receive on open is checked), zingo...it goes.

14. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Yea, what jbcalg said. Thanks for clarifying.

Like I said, it the wording of the different programs that is confusing. Play with it a little and you will see how and which option applies to what you are used to.

Luck

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!