1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Receive 'windows did not detect a mouse' message during restart

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by saunderr, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saunderr

saunderr Thread Starter

Using Windows 98, when performing a system restart (necessary when changing settings, adding/removing hardware/software, etc) the system shuts down, but when trying to boot back up I get a pop-up message saying there is no mouse attached. The PC is hung at this time, no input can be done via keyboard or mouse (the curser is frozen in the center of the display). The only option is to power off. This problem has been around since I upgraded from Windows 95 a few years ago. Anyone have any clues on how to fix this annoying problem? Thanks!
    Note: The mouse functions normally when the PC is powered on normally.

Updated the mouse driver (from microsoft) but problem not fixed.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

go to help and look up ASD ... read it & use it when you reboot next time.
    other than that sounds like you need to install drivers

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Could be a lot of things causing this. I'm assuming it works some of the time?

Some possibilities:

1. You have an interrupt conflict.

Fix: Right-click on the My Computer icon, and select Properties.
    Click the Device Manager tab.
    Scroll down to the Mouse section and double-click it.
    See if there's anything but a green checkmark next to the mouse name

1. You need to update your mouse driver to a new version.

Fix: go to the manufacturer's website and see if one is available

2. The mouse has a bad cable and is intermittently not making connection.

Fix: buy a new mouse!

3. The PS/2 or serial port is faulty

Fix: ummmm...well, get a PS/2 to serial port adapter, or vice versa, and try the mouse on that port. (I assume this isn't a USB mouse, since you had Windows 95 on the PC)

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Could be a lot of things causing this. I'm assuming it works some of the time?

Some possibilities:

1. You have an interrupt conflict.

Fix: Right-click on the My Computer icon, and select Properties.
    Click the Device Manager tab.
    Scroll down to the Mouse section and double-click it.
    See if there's anything but a green checkmark next to the mouse name . If there is, click Properties, and select the Resources tab. If it says there are conflicts, you may be able to resolve them by unchecking "use automatic settings" and then dropping down the box to choose other values. NOTE: this *could* make your mouse stop functioning, period, and you'd have to boot up and navigate here using the keyboard to recheck "use automatic settings". ON the other hand, it could fix the problem.

If you can't select other settings for the mouse, see what is conflicting with the mouse, and try adjusting that (it's probably the modem)

If there is more than one mouse listed, delete them BOTH and let Windows detect/reinstall the mouse again when you restart. Make sure you have the mouse driver disk handy, if possible. You may have to go to Add/Remove Hardware in Control Panel after trying this one.

2. You need to update your mouse driver to a new version.

Fix: go to the manufacturer's website and see if one is available

3. The mouse has a bad cable and is intermittently not making connection.

Fix: buy a new mouse!

4. The PS/2 or serial port is faulty

Fix: ummmm...well, get a PS/2 to serial port adapter, or vice versa, and try the mouse on that port. (I assume this isn't a USB mouse, since you had Windows 95 on the PC)

The first two are most likely. I'd say there's a 80% chance you have an IRQ conflict of some sort.

Good luck.

5. saunderr

saunderr Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately (for me) I am unable to find and resolve the problem. I didn't see any conflicts, and I tried loading a new driver from Microsoft. I don't suspect a problem with the mouse since it works normally.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

6. F-EMDE

F-EMDE

I go along with Gnosisless, plug the mouse cable back into the PC.
    Fred

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice