1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Receiver Problem - No Picture

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by vegeta13613, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegeta13613

vegeta13613 Thread Starter

I am having a problem that I would assumes is caused by my Yamaha RX-V373 receiver. The problem is...

Whenever I turn on my system, I get about 2 seconds of video pop up on my projector screen, then the screen goes black. If there was audio playing, it still plays. Sometimes switching to a different input and switching back fixes this (or if it isn't happening, it can cause the problem), but usually it just goes black again. Usually, after a handful of tries, the picture stays on. Turning the receiver off and back on has mixed results as well. This happens with both my HTPC (HDMI 1) and my Xbox 360 (HDMI 2).

It seems to me that the problem is likely somewhere in the receiver, but I am also using an Acer H5360 (720p) to display the output from the receiver. If any more information is needed, let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help.

2. vegeta13613

I was unable to duplicate the problem when bypassing the receiver. I would say the problem most likely lies somewhere in the receiver. I have tried changing the receiver settings numerous times in the past to fix the issue, but had no luck. I am at a loss.

3. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Do you have other video outputs from the receiver?
    Is there another video output you could switch the desired output video to, to see if it is just that one output port?

4. vegeta13613

Nope, just the one HDMI out.

5. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hmmm, I'm kind of at a loss. Is there another television you can use besides the screen projector as an output?

6. vegeta13613

I got a chance to hook up my PC monitor to the receiver. No issue. Then again, it has been about four or five days since I have had this issue pop up.

I did a bunch of digging, and found that some people have reported similar problems with Yamaha receivers. It sounds like I am not having exactly the same issue as the other people I have read about, but I will try a fix that worked in a few cases... Update the receiver firmware. Honestly, I never even thought about doing this, but I suppose I should have. Going to have to grab a usb stick and my owners' manual once I get home. It still seems strange to me that the problem is happening to me with both a 360 and a HTPC, but maybe there is some handshake issue with the receiver and the projector or something like that...?

7. vegeta13613

It looks like there are zero firmware updates for the V373 receiver. I can't find any online... so much for that idea.

I don't plan on upgrading my receiver any time soon, but I do plan on upgrading my projector by the end of the year. I guess I'll just stick it out until then, and hope that solves my problem. Thanks for trying, Drabdr :)

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Geeze, sorry I struck out on any kind of ideas for you.

I would contact Yamaha. They looked like they had a pretty impressive website for troubleshooting and such. You might ask them if you can use the update for the V473 on your V373.

Good luck! If you get a fix or another idea please post.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice