1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

receiving emails now I have new ISP in Outlook express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by howard b, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howard b

howard b Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have just swapped ISP from my old freeserve (wanadoo,orange) broadband to sky. The problem is I want to still be able to access my old email a/c I have had for years. I used to use outlook express and wanted to still be able to use this program, however since changing ISP I still receive emails but cannot send any as I get the error,

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.wanadoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.wanadoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Can anyone help?

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

I found this, even though it states for Earthlink just follow the instructions and input the info for Sky.

Error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'youraccount', Server: 'www.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
    You are on a an ISP (such as Earthlink or Mindspring) that blocks their users using any SMTP server other than their own. Your solution is as follows:
    # To set up Earthlink, Mindspring, or your ISP's SMTP servers for your outgoing email you must click on your account settings in the email client you are using (Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape etc.)
    # In the SMTP (outgoing mail server) field you will enter smtp.earthlink.net (or whatever your dial up or direct access ISP's SMTP server is) as your SMTP server. You must then enter your Earthlink (or your ISP's) username and password for that mail server.
    # In Outlook Express it is at the bottom of that same tab. You must uncheck 'My server requires authentication' and click on 'settings' to enter your Earthlink (or your ISP's) username and password.

Your email will still be from your own domain name, the only difference is in the way it is routed throughout the Internet. Instead of being sent through our servers it is processed through Earthlink (or your ISP's) servers. This allows Earthlink (or your ISP) to monitor its users.

3. howard b

howard b Thread Starter

I have just tried what you suggested and it works. (y) My outbox is now empty and just in case I sent one to my hotmail account and it arrived.

Thanks for your help

Howard.

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

glad it worked out for you

5. chevinbighill

chevinbighill

Howard im having the same problem but i dont understand cgesicki reply so i wondered if howard could tell me how he did it please!

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.wanadoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.wanadoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

6. cgesicki

cgesicki

7. chevinbighill

chevinbighill

cheers cgesicki
    but im a little confused about which to put where in your kind description ,my old provider (wanadoo) is the email im having trouble sending from outlook express and my new sky broard band doesnt accept it.....please can you help?

8. a1batman

a1batman

My colleague is having the same problem in that his outlook express email was on a dialup pay as you go and now he is connected via sky broad band. He has no problem with sending any email's from the sky address and he is okay at receiving all his freeserve emails. the problem comes when he wants to send an email from his freeserve email address.
    Have you managed to under stand what is needed to be done to his freeserve account details within outlook express. Like yourself I can't understand what specific parts need to be changed. He is using XP home as the operating system.

9. a1batman

a1batman

What specific account out of the two that I have need to be changed.
    Thanks from a1batman

10. cgesicki

cgesicki

In the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) try entering smtp.freeserve.co.uk or smtp.freeserve.net as your SMTP server. You must then enter your username and password for that mail server.

11. a1batman

a1batman

I have two account profiles in outlook express, one for the sky broadband and the other for the freeserve. Which of these do I have to alter the outgoing mail server details because in the freeserve one it has already got smtp.freeserve.co.uk sorry to be a pain

12. a1batman

a1batman

I have two account profiles in outlook express, one for the sky broadband and the other for the freeserve. Which of these two profiles do I have to alter the outgoing mail server details of, because in the freeserve one it has already got smtp.freeserve.co.uk . Sorry to be a pain.

13. cgesicki

cgesicki

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice