1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Receiving message: CPU is unworkable...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gwbush, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwbush

gwbush Thread Starter

When I first start up, I receive a message that states that my
    Main Processor is a Pentium III 333 MHz. CPU is unworkable
    or has been changed. Please recheck "Soft Menu III setup".
    My CPU is a Pentium III 500 MHz.
    Can you tell me how to perform this soft menu setup?

Also, my computer frequently freezes up and the only way
    to escape is to turn it off. Could this "soft menu" problem
    cause this infernal device to be so contrary?

Thanks,
    Elaine in Dallas

2. columbo

columbo

Hi, :)

According to this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/96q3/960701/index.html

you should be able to access your "soft menu" by going through your BIOS. Just press del or F10 or whichever key enables you to access the BIOS at startup, and you should be able to navigate to the "soft menu" from there.
    I imagine that you'll have to change some setting in there, that is incorrectly reporting the clock speed of your processor.
    Apparently, these "soft menus" are coming out to replace jumpers and switches on the motherboards, (which allow the user to manually alter certain CPU settings, like voltage, speed, etc.).

Good Luck

P.S- This should probably be in the hardware forum ;)

3. slipe

slipe

When you first boot there is a message that says “to enter setup xxx”. It is often delete but it varies between computers.

Once you are in your BIOS things look different also from BIOS to BIOS. There might be an auto detect for the processor or a series of choices. If there aren’t any you will probably have to set your bus speed and multiplier. If you don’t have a choice on the processor and the auto-detect isn’t there get back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice