1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Receiving Unwanted Emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rcrq500, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcrq500

rcrq500 Thread Starter

I receive emails from solicitors that are trying to sell things and the addresses are similar to mine, but not correct. How do they still get through to me? Example: My email is rcrq500 and I get some that say rcqmom.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're being sent to you, but the writer is spoofing the To: field. It's called spam, and it comes to everyone with an e-mail account.

3. rcrq500

rcrq500 Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer. How can I prevent it or control it? It is very frustrating.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no way to completely prevent it. As long as you have an e-mail address, you'll have spam. I've heard of filters that work with different e-mail applications. You can search the web or wait for someone to post suggestions here. Just don't expect it to disappear. If you're using Hotmail or Yahoo via the web, your options are far more limited.

5. jparr111

jparr111

May I suggest creating a gmail account.(is it STILL beta? and invite only?) Great filters there.

6. rcrq500

rcrq500 Thread Starter

Does this not allow them to get through?

7. jparr111

jparr111

Changing your email address is the BEST way to stop getting SPAM mail. Of course, that's only good until you reply to SPAM, with your new address.
    (Just my opinion...I'm no expert.)

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

They do random or dictionary generated addresses in the "BCC" field, so while you don't see your address but it will be one of the thousands that these cretins generate. You only see the seed address in the "From" field.

They should be taken out and shot, although that would be to kind.

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I disagree with part of this statement: "If you're using Hotmail or Yahoo via the web, your options are far more limited." I have used Yahoo e-mail for years, with only occasional 'spam.' Be sure to use the built-in 'options' available.
    {redoak}

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm glad to hear Yahoo's improved. I haven't used it for years. Thanks for the info.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice