Recent Download hosed my home PC -word and excel MIA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sassur

My husband tried to update our system and downloaded NIS 2006 just before the holidays
The install of the updated version - made all applications unusable (no programs would open) - so over the break I worked with Symantec tech support and uninstalled the 06 version and then reinstalled the 05 version (and paid renewal at this level)

we were in regedit alot - so I'm worries we may have munged the system registry.

The most significant issue since that dark day Symantec NIS 2006 came to visit our PC:
is that Word and Excel have been wiped off the slate - no longer installed. GONE.
When trying to open word or excel the following message:
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"
MS Publisher is still there and works, Outlook Express also works.

When attempting to reinstall Office 2000 we get
Error 1402: set up cannot open the registry key
Verify you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact MS product support services

There are a few other issues we are working with - but this is the most significant.

Anyone else encountered this - any suggestions?
Any recommendations/info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

OBP

What no Backup and Restore points to go back to?
No system Backup either?

sassur

I have back ups for the ordering package that I use in my side business - I was able to restore those

I do not have any back ups of program files (silly me)

it does not seem to have permeated the docs or xls - I've moved them now to CD - and can open them on another computer

I'm wondering if there are utilities I should be running that could do some clean up or fixes...
or how I can know if my registry is messed up?

Other programs are behaving strangely - though we are mainly able to use them.

Do we need to do a complete REINSTALL???

S

OBP

Assuming you have Windows XP go in to "Help & Support" and type in the search box "reset registry".
Under Microsoft Knowledge Base answers you should find - How to reset registry settings to their default values for Office 2000.
This is taken from it
How to reset registry settings to their default values for Office 2000
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 231430
Last Review : December 14, 2005
Revision : 2.1
This article was previously published under Q231430
SUMMARY
This article explains how to use the Office Profile Wizard (OPW) to reset the Microsoft Office 2000 registry settings to their default values.
MORE INFORMATION
In earlier versions of Microsoft Office, such as Microsoft Office 7.0 and Microsoft Office 97, it is possible to restore the default registry settings by running the Microsoft Office Setup program using the "/y" and "/r" switches, as in the following example:
Setup.exe /y /r
In Microsoft Office 2000, these Setup switches are no longer available. However, it is possible to use the Office Profile Wizard to reset registry settings to their default values.

To install the Office Profile Wizard: 1. Using your Web browser, go to the following address:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/orkarchive/2000ddl.htm (http://www.microsoft.com/office/orkarchive/2000ddl.htm)
Save the Orktools.exe program to your Desktop.
2. Install Orktools.exe by double-clicking it and following the on-screen instructions.
To restore your Microsoft Office 2000 registry settings to their default values: 1. Quit any Microsoft Office programs that are running.
2. On the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Office Tools, point to Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit Tools, and click Profile Wizard.
3. Click Next.
4. Click the Restore previously saved settings option button. Select the Reset to defaults before restoring settings check box. Make sure that there is no file name shown in the Edit box. Then click Finish.
5. When you receive the message
You have not specified a settings file to be restored, but you have selected "Reset to defaults before restoring settings." This will restore the Office default settings on this computer. Are you sure you want to continue?
click Yes.
6. When you receive the message
You have completed the Profile Wizard. The default Office Settings were restored.
click Exit.

sassur

OBP:
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your expertise!

I have gone through each step and reset the default settings

When trying to open word I still get the following :
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

When attempting to reinstall Office 2000 (from the recently relocated CDS)
still get Error 1402: set up cannot open the registry key

When trying to install a loaner copy of Office 2003 - which I recently down loaded
it gave the same Error 1402

argh....

by the way - last night I downloaded and ran EasyCleaner - Clean Registry
that I found at
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

any other suggestions?

sassur

OBP
thanks again for all your suggestions -
I had searched quite a bit on microsoft.com - and you can find error 1402 - but I haven't been able to find the instructions for a fix under Windows XP --- just about every other O/s but not XP...
I tried searchin on Error 1402 Windows XP, and other variations - but it keeps coming back to that same post - which notes - EXCEPT for WIN XP...

I just don't know what else to do ----

Susan

OBP

sassur, did you try any of the Non XP fixes?
Have you tried ringing Microsoft's help line?
If you are in the UK the phone number is 0870 6010100 or 0845 090 2025

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online