1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recent Problems with Windows Installer (also need Windows Install Clean Up help)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nate_the_Great, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate_the_Great

Nate_the_Great Thread Starter

Then:
    Ok so, to begin, I run Windows XP Service Pack 3. About June 21, I installed CA Internet Security from the CD I bought. The next day, my computer started acting weird. The start menu/toolbar was missing, internet didn't work, when you opened programs they looked different, etc. I figured the problem was CA. I unistalled CA, Service pack 3, and IE8. I tried reinstalling Service Packs 2 & 3 but couldn't fix the problem. I finally found a registry repair program that found 2,000 errors, and fixed my computer. I reinstalled everything.

Now:
    I've been getting "another installation is in progress" alerts when I try to install some programs. I tried using Computer Management, shutting off MSI, then restarting and turning it back on. But this fix only lasts for 2 days. I downloaded "Windows Install Clean Up", and deleted a part of CA that never re-installed June 23. Also, when I start my computer, 3 or 4 "Windows Installer" programs open themselves and I dont know what program its part of. Can anyone help me? Also, some System components haven't been working right since June.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome to TSG!

Too bad you haven't had the chance to read the many many threads about staying away from registry cleaners. 2000 errors removed!!! You may have damaged your registry beyond repair.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!