Solved Recent saved files gone after restart

magos0011

Hi good day mam/sir my pc doesnt work fine all my recent saved files and downloads are gone after i restart my pc how can i fix it. Thnks

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
ON 21 May you stated this thread
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-problem-on-previous-state-after-restart.1245067/

On 24 May you started this one
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reformat-pc.1245190/

Neither of which you have returned to. Whilst I appreciate the other matters may have been solved, it is always good to reply to the help offered.
We are always keen to help, but I am hesitant to type a detailed guide to what may be your problem cause, to find you do not reply to this.
As a starting point and as mentioned on the site when you clicked on new thread
We recommend that you download our free system info utility. When you run it, it will show technical specifications of your computer. Please copy and paste that information and include it with your question below. Thank you!
please do so and paste the results to your reply

magos0011

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20170509162009.000000-420
Processor: AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 48 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 125 GB (2 GB Free); D: 107 GB (27 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. F2A68HM-S1, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ACRSYS - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled

Hi good day mam/sir my pc doesnt work fine all my recent saved files and downloads are gone after i restart my pc how can i fix it. Thnks

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Exactly where are you saving these saved files and downloads? Please provide the full directory paths, starting from the drive letter. What software are you using to create and save the files and what software are you using to download the files? How are you making sure the files are actually being saved before restarting the computer?

magos0011

Exactly where are you saving these saved files and downloads? Please provide the full directory paths, starting from the drive letter. What software are you using to create and save the files and what software are you using to download the files? How are you making sure the files are actually being saved before restarting the computer?

i just saving it in my desktop, i try to create new folder in desktop then after i restart it its gone, its keep going in recent state after i creat new folder

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am reading several forums where people have experienced similar problems. What I am reading by one Microsoft MVP, is that Microsoft changed the behavior of the desktop from previous versions of Windows. It is a special system folder that should NOT be used to save files or folders containing files. From what I can tell, you can save your files to another location on the hard drive and have a shortcut for that location on the desktop.

As for your missing files, you could try:

1) Using Windows Explorer to view the contents of the Desktop folder.

2) Enable Windows 7 to show hidden and system folders and files.

There is a possibility that doing one or both may turn up your missing files.

magos0011

I am reading several forums where people have experienced similar problems. What I am reading by one Microsoft MVP, is that Microsoft changed the behavior of the desktop from previous versions of Windows. It is a special system folder that should NOT be used to save files or folders containing files. From what I can tell, you can save your files to another location on the hard drive and have a shortcut for that location on the desktop.

As for your missing files, you could try:

1) Using Windows Explorer to view the contents of the Desktop folder.

2) Enable Windows 7 to show hidden and system folders and files.

There is a possibility that doing one or both may turn up your missing files.
when i open windows explorer, the libraries appear, how about the deleted files that keep comingback after i restart it

magos0011

i also create and save new files then i delete some, after i restart it the new files gone and the deleted files are back

plodr

Liz
We are currently running 4 Windows 7 computers in our home.
I'm not able to reproduce what you are experiencing. When I erase something (I chose to do that instead of delete), the file is gone and doesn't reappear. In fact I erased about 10 video files from my desktop yesterday. The are gone. I erased a file folder and 3 other files from my desktop today. They have not returned.

As far as downloading: everything I've downloaded is where I put it. I download an instruction manual (pdf) for a bluetooth speaker about a week ago. I just opened it this morning to review something. It has remained where I placed it, in a file folder inside another folder of downloaded items.

Since I'm unable to reproduce your experience, I can't begin to tell you how to fix it, sorry.

I found 4 things to look at in Windows 10, even though I searched for Windows 7
https://www.easeus.com/resource/files-folders-keep-reappearing-after-deletion.html

When you delete something, hold down the shift key before you select delete. That way, it bypasses the recycle bin and should not reappear.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try saving files to another location other than on the Windows desktop or in a folder on the Windows desktop. Do the files still disappear?

Are you logged into Windows as an administrator or a guest?

Are you powering off the computer through Windows where Windows first closes and then the hardware turns off?

Do you get any warnings from Windows while shutting off or turning on?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just in case my post 12 is missed I repeat
You CANNOT run a drive (partition) of 125GB with ONLY 2GB of free space
For a simple non technical explanation - if you try and save data that is more than 2GB - where? can it be saved to.
Even if what you are trying to save is less than 2GB - be assured you need to create more free space

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online