1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recently moved & my personal site won't load

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GreenBottleCapper, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreenBottleCapper

GreenBottleCapper Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'll admit I'm mostly clueless to the whole ip address, site info, tech stuff.
    I really need some help here.
    I just moved into my new house. I have a cheesy little personal website which is hosted by Bluehost.com. My domain is moneyathomeguide.com.
    It's just one page with a simple background and some text.
    I tried to view my site for the first time here at my new house. The page will not load. Everything else works fine - email, all other sites, etc. So I used the live chat feature on Bluehost and chatted with a tech. He said to contact my ISP - something about a port/ping/timeout. My ISP said to contact Bluehost. I went back and forth for 2 days. Nothing got resolved.

My question is, is it possible, that because I'm at a new house with a new phone number, that this is causing some kind of problem with the Bluehost network host provider thing-a-ma-bob?

Am I making any sense here?

Here is some basic info about my computer/modem:

Gateway PC, Windows XP, using IE 7, DSL connection with Bellsouth/ATT, little black Westell modem (on the bottom: DSL2+ ROUTER as well as WIND DRIVER). I have filters on all phones, but not on the phone jack thing that the modem is hooked into - was told I don't need one because it's already filtered. I don't have anything else hooked between my modem & computer - I mean, no router or anything. Modem is hooked right to the computer with an ethernet thing and hooked into the phone jack. I have Windows firewall thing disabled because I have the Norton thing running.

One of the things the Bluehost tech had me do was a traceroute thing at the dos prompt, and these are the results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert moneyathomeguide.com

Tracing route to moneyathomeguide.com [69.89.31.246]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms launchmodem [192.168.1.254]
    2 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms adsl-176-58-1.asm.bellsouth.net [74.176.58.1]
    3 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms 70.159.177.79
    4 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms 70.159.176.44
    5 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms axr00asm-ge-2-1-9.bellsouth.net [70.159.176.40]

6 16 ms 16 ms 15 ms 65.83.238.76
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

I'm pretty desperate here as you can tell. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I was told by my ISP that all ports should be open on my modem. But then the Bluehost tech said something about needing an open port. And when I gave the above traceroute results to Bluehost, they said the problem is on my ISP's end.

I don't know what to do.
    Every other site on the net works fine. I'm using the same pc, same modem as I did at my previous house. Of course we have a new phone number...I assume we have a new IP address thing too?

If anyone has ANY advice or suggestions, please please let me know. If you need more info on my pc or modem or whatever, please just ask. ;)

OH! I should also mention this:

Like I said before, Bluehost.com is hosting my site (moneyathomeguide.com). When I go to Bluehost.com and try to login to my control panel thing, it does the same thing as when I try to view my actual site - times out. So I used the Help section at Bluehost.com (I typed in "Can't login to CP" and this was one of the results:

Can't login to Control Panel from home page

Solution
    If you are receiving an error that the page could not be displayed when trying to log into the control panel. It is most likely due to the fact that your firewall is blocking the port that the control panel uses.

Try using
    http://login.bluehost.com as an alternative, if this still does not work then you will need to contact your local admin to get the port opened (2088, 2082). You can check if this port is open by using this tool:

http://bluehost.com/cgi-bin/firewall

So I went to http://login.bluehost.com and logged in and it worked!
    I'm not using Windows Firewall - I have the Norton thingie.

So then I went to http://bluehost.com/cgi-bin/firewall to check the port thing and this is what showed up:

Firewall/Proxy Test

[​IMG]80HTTP[​IMG]20/21+DataFTP[​IMG]2082cPanel[​IMG]2095Webmail[​IMG]443SSL HTTP[​IMG]465SSL SMTP[​IMG]995SSL POP[​IMG]993SSL IMAP[​IMG]2083SSL cPanel[​IMG]2096SSL Webmail

So I see the 2082 but no 2088. Could this be the problem?

Oh dear, I've really typed alot here....but I just wanted to give as much info as I could.

Again, I would REALLY appreciate any help.
    Thank you so much!;)

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

To answer your question, moving to a new location does not effect the content on your site or anything on the bluehost.com hosting servers.

There seems to be an issue with your internet connection, not really the internet connection but the firewall setting that are being set by a router or a firewall application.

You should check the settings on Norton and any router, then try the site.

3. GreenBottleCapper

Hi & thanks for the quick reply!

I do remember being told something about firewall settings/modem settings by the ATT/Bellsouth ISP tech as well as the Bluehost tech - but wasn't given any details. I do have the Norton Internet Security program running, so I turned the whole thing off and tried to load my page & it still wouldn't load. I don't have any router thingie, just the modem - and the back of the modem reads:

Westell DSL2+ Router Wind River

Does that mean the actual little black modem has a router in it?

I am just completely baffled that every single site on the net loads except my personal site (moneyathomeguide.com) and that I can't log into my control panel thing at Bluehost.com from the main page - I have to go to a diff link. So strange! Other people can load my site and see it so at least that's good.

Any other advice? Change settings on my modem thing? I know I can type the number thing to my modem in the address bar in IE - it's a 192.xxxx number thing. Do you think I need to change something there?

Thanks!!!

4. GreenBottleCapper

Oh dear, another problem when trying to load another site. Here is the error msg on IE:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    The proxy server could not handle the request GET /authenticate/logging_in. Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache/2.2.2 (Red Hat) Server at underground.chacha.com Port 80

Any help would be reeeeeally appreciated!

5. GreenBottleCapper

Ah, nevermind about the Proxy error - seems other people were getting that same msg. That site is working fine now:)

Still can't get my personal site to load....

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

7. GreenBottleCapper

Not sure what RootbeaR meant...

But what I meant was that when I type in the address bar www.moneyathomeguide.com (MY personal CHEESY lame site) it will NOT load. It does that time out thing. My site is hosted by Bluehost. When I go to Bluehost.com there is a place to sign in to access my control panel thing where I can edit my site & manage my account. Well, I enter my CORRECT sign in info and it does the same thing as when I try to load my actual site - it times out. I spoke with a tech at Bluehost and he said to try to log in at login.bluehost.com NOT just Bluehost.com. I was able to access my control panel by logging in at login.bluehost.com but NOT bluehost.com.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? My first two posts above give all the info on the prob I'm having.

THANKS!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice