1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reclaiming space on my harddrive?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zip316, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zip316

zip316 Thread Starter

hi everyone ,i need to know is it okay to delete all the readme files and the applog on my pc,in order to get more space on my harddrive?i am running windows 98. thanks in advance

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The readme files are documentation for whatever program is in that particular folder. And, since they are most likely small, deleting them will recover little space.

Applog files are generated/maintained by TaskMon and used by Defrag/Speedisk to Optimize Program Startup. If you are running a relatively new PC with a fast disk, the benefit of using this feature is neglible. Thus, unselect Taskmon in Msconfig, reboot and then delete all files in \Applog.

If you still wish to use the feature, and the applog folder is getting large, then delete all the files. Taskmon will recreate them as you start running programs.

You will most likely get the biggest benefit from
    deleting all files in your \Temp folder
    deleting all files in your browser cache
    deleting all files in your History folder and
    emptying your browser cache
    (also check for *.CHK files in the root of C:\)

Delindex is a good program(actually a BATch file) to do general housecleaing. Read the documentation before running it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice