recognise camera as removable storage device? (windows xp)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fbell77

Hey people, here's my problem:

(In Windows XP) I connect my digital camera up to my pc via the usb cable. Under 'my computer' the camera is listed under 'scanners and cameras' (and works okay, I can download the pictures okay).
This is all fine, but the problem is, I want use run some file recovery software on my flashcard, but the software won't see my camera unless it's listed as a lettered drive ( eg f: )

Is there anyway of configuring windows to make my camera appear as a drive in the 'removable storage' section? Alternatively, does anyone know of any file recovery software that will work in these circumstances? (I've tried more than 6 know with the same problem).

Surely someone else must have hit this problem before but I have searched in vain to find anything about it on the internet...
Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TSG.

Most cameras show as a removable disk and others as a camera, but only when the camera is connected and some have to be turned on.

Some older model cameras evidently don’t show up that way. I don’t think there is a way to correct it if it isn’t showing with the camera connected and on.

I just checked and the camera I have hooked up doesn’t show in Scanners and Cameras but is showing as a removable disk in Windows Explorer. Maybe they do one or the other but not both.

Other than buy a card reader I see no way to run the software on the card if it isn’t showing as a drive. I’ve never read of a way to force it to show as a drive if it is one that doesn’t.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts