1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recognizing memory

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by annie0816, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annie0816

annie0816 Thread Starter

I am using windows 98 and installed additional memory. how do I check to make sure my computer is recognizing the new memory. I went to start, control panel, system (?)and that didn't show the new memory. is there another way to check the memory? thanks

2. RiViT

RiViT

Yes, go to bios and go to system information. Hit del to go to bios as you first turn it on. Did you have other memory on therE? Cause if you have the old memory which is smaller you will need to move it over to the second slot and put the new stick of memory in the spot where the old one was....hope this helps...

3. annie0816

annie0816 Thread Starter

I will move the new memory into slot 1 (the old memory is smaller). Re "bios" I went to start, find, system information. Did you mean when starting up the computer to hit delete to stop the system info that rolls before the desktop come up? Hate to sound so "duh", but I am!

4. RiViT

RiViT

As soon as you turn on your computer start hitting del...this will eventually bring you to the bios menu...when you get there there is a drop down menu that lets you see your system information...most likely it will be the first one.

5. brindle

brindle

you also might try www.belarc.com it a good little progra that gives you info about your puter and the programs loaded

6. annie0816

annie0816 Thread Starter

when i moved the new memory to slot 1, i noticed the sticker on the original memory said PC-100 3-2-3, SD 64MB. The sticker on the memory i was putting in said PC66, SDRAM, 128MB. Went back to the store and bought a PC-100 DIMM 128MB. the computer did recognize the latest purchase. So, the 128 is in slot 1 and the 64 (original) is in slot 2. the 64 memory had shown as 48.OMB RAM in the system's folder; the 128 memory now shows as 112.OMB RAM in the system's folder. Does the 16 MB reduction mean that much memory is used all the time and 112 is free to be used? Also, why doesn't the 64MB in slot 2 show. Is only slot 1 open and i have to activate slot 2 to get both the 64 and 128 recogonized?

7. amthmi

amthmi

If you want to see your ram total just right click
    on My Computer on your desktop and select
    properties and it should be the last line under
    the General tab.
    Also when you boot your pc one of the first
    items listed (during Post) besides your processor
    and your devices installed is the memory count.

8. ridgerunner

ridgerunner

If you computer has video on the motherboard, instead of a video card, it takes it's memory from your ram and will show accordingly, could that be your answer?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice