1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recomended distro

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by steven1350, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

Personally, I have taken a liking to Fedora Core 6, as it has been on my desktop pc for a while. Recently, I decided to add it to my laptop too. The problem is neither my ethernet or wireless card was detected. This means that it is without internet.

Now, I know that it is possible to add them, however, it would be very time consuming and frustrating to find the dependicies on windows, and transfer them via usb to fedora.

Instead, I am asking you guys if you know a distro which will work out of the box for either of these two hardware devices (preferably the realtek one):

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

Any suggustions?

2. vtel57

vtel57

It's hard to say, unless someone who actually has that hardware strolls through here. You may just have to experiment. My advice would be to try Ubuntu or OpenSuSE. Both are pretty much "automagic" when it comes to hardware. However, you can also check here for further info about your particular hardware:

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

Luck!

3. steven1350

ok, I will experiment with ubuntu. Hopefully something will be detected. I really hope for the ethernet, since I dont have a wireless router and I would need to work from school.

4. fenderfreek

fenderfreek

I have a realtek in my laptop and it works in Ubuntu. As for the wireless card, Intel is fairly well supported, so I'm kind of shocked, but try a live CD of Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy. It has the most comprehensive mobile Linux support I've seen yet.

5. steven1350

Ok, I tried again in fedora core (after a re-instalaiton with more software this time) and I have the ethernet up and running. Looks like I will keep my Fedora Core 6 :D

6. Stephen47

Stephen47

probably a wise choice. i have an Intel pro wireless 3945 ABg and I have been unable to get it to work in either Ubuntu or Mint Linux.

7. steven1350

Just for the record, I now have both wired and wireless fully working :D. However, its kinda tedious to connect to a network. First I need to manually enter the SSID and the encryption key(Using the kde wifi manager). Then click "activate". Then from system-control-network, I click on the activate button for the wireless connection. While its trying to get an IP, I click "activate" back at the wifi manager, and voila, its up and running.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice