1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a laptop for me? Please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JDcompy, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Hi all,

I spent a good 5 minutes trying to find the right forum area for my thread- please feel free to move me if I am in the wrong spot!

I need a new laptop, desperately. My current one is 10 years old. It's been a long time since I purchased a laptop and to be honest, I HATED the laptop I have since the moment I got it. I purchased on ebay and didn't know much about it. Thankfully, you all are great and knowledgeable experts (especially compared to me) :)

My current laptop is an HP. I had to reformat it countless times in the first year and it doesn't stupid things with the mouse. I hate it. I hate it so much. I just hate it and want it to go away for ever. I can't ever buy an HP laptop again.

I feel like my needs are fairly simple.

• I like a good amount of HD space, but don't need anything crazy. I tend to save photos/videos from my camera and some media here and there.
    • I'm not a gamer. The gaming I do consists of flash games on kongregate.com - not saying it wouldn't be really nice to play a game or two on there- but I don't need anything high tech for gaming.
    • I do want it to be fast- a good amount of ram and processing speed. I hate waiting a long time for thing to load, and I do tend to reboot my computer infrequently and don't want it getting bogged down quickly. I want to be able to run my AOL instant messenger and my firefox with 50 tabs open.
    • I want a windows-based computer - Not a mac
    • I need a laptop that will not easily overheat. That has been a constant problem with my HP.

I don't really want to walk into best buy and hand over a 1000 dollars for their overpriced stuff. I feel like if I can talk to you all, and do my research, I'll be able to get a good laptop for a decent price. I'm hoping to spend in the 3-400 range. But I suppose if it's really that amazing, I could go to 500.

Recommendations? Thoughts? I don't know a whole heap about computers, but I know most of the terms. The more detailed you can be the better, always.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ahead of time. I know you all give up your free time for strangers and I ALWAYS appreciate your helps!

Thank you!

2. Ray582

Ray582

I would compare laptops at newegg.com. I found that they had the best pricing and inventory. Whatever you get don't get it with windows 8. It is terrible.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I concur with Ray582.

The refurbished Windows 7 models at www.newegg.com are worth looking at.

I've purchased several refurbished Windows 7 desktops and laptops from there in the past 2 years and have been happy with all of them, and I didn't pay more than $300.00 for any of them.

Dell has a better selection and is what I recommend and use.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Thank you flav and Ray,

Though, I pretty much want anything BUT an HP laptop. I hate HP, with a passion.

My problem is when I go to this website, I Don't know what to look for. I don't know how much ram I need or how much processing speed because I don't know what is what.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thank you!

5. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

I guess I need help with figuring out what specs to look for in a laptop.

6. Ray582

Ray582

Go with an i5 and 1TB of ram and you will be very happy. If go refurbished you can get a lot more for your money. Just stay away from Windows 8. This will limit your selection but you will find plenty to choose from.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're looking for a good laptop for basic computing use and not for hard-core gaming or anything real system-hungry, the Dell Latitude D830 should do well for you.

I personally own 2 of them and have had them for about a year and a half.

The one I linked you to has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz processor and 4 GB of RAM and a CD/DVD burner and has Windows 7 Home Premium installed, so it's a very good deal for the price - $240.00.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200961

8. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Ray, my mouth watered when you said 1TB of ram. They make that already?

Frank, I borrowed a DELL from a friend a bit ago and really enjoyed the dell. I may look into dells. After hearing about the 1TB of ram, is 4gb of ram enough for 50+ tabs open all the time on the computer? And, I thought 2ghz processor was slow. Is that not the case? thank you!!

Is i5 the processor?

Thank you both again for your continued attention!!!

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm sure he made a typo when he said 1 TB of RAM, and that he was actually referring to a 1 TB capacity hard drive.

1 TB of RAM would be 1000 GB of RAM.

I can't comment on Intel Core i3 or i5 or i7 processors because I've never owned a laptop with one.

Having one in a laptop will add significantly to the price.

10. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Is there a website where I can list different specs that I want and it can give me a list of laptops that have those specs?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Not that I'm aware of.

If you go to the Dell laptop section, you can select and browse through the models according to their processor type.

Intel Core 2 Duo

Intel Core i3

Intel Core i5

Intel Core i7

You can also browse through the best ratings and reviews.

12. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

ok. Other than "higher is better" what are the differences between the different Intel cores?

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you go here, then select "Menu - Products - Processors", you can browse through the different "Intel Core" processors.

---------------------------------------------------------

14. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

What do you want to do with the computer? Core i3 is for very basic computer tasks like simple web browsing and e-mail. Most people do well with an i5. An i7 is for Photoshop, video editing, possibly gaming, etc.

15. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Hi Tony,

I'm not really a gamer, but I do like to do video editing. And photoshop is a HUGE + because I am very into photography.

Would an i3 not be able to handle that stuff very well?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1111711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice