1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DTonesXD, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DTonesXD

DTonesXD Thread Starter

i've had my custom built pc for nearly 2 years and it was really good however, now i want something more portable but has the capabilities of a computer (not a tablet, i already have an ipad)

i don't know what laptop to get, it will definitely be a downgrade in terms of components and i am aware of that because it won't be used for heavy CPU/RAM usage.

I will be using it for writing documents, making powerpoint slideshows, the internet near enough all day, occasionally play minecraft, occasionally make an hour long dvd on sony vegas, watch youtube videos, occasional photoshop editing, skype (want a decent webcam, around 1.3mp)

This is basically what i have been using my desktop for recently so i think my specs are currently a bit of an overkill for that

[​IMG]

What kind of laptop specifically would you recommend or if you can't tell me that, what specs should i look for in a laptop?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats you budget
    you can get some very high spec laptops
    do you want windows or consider Mac OSX

i5 CPU or equivalent - comparison site here http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    8GB Ram will be fine for photoshop

I'm not sure of the requirements for minecraft or sony vagas

But I make videos using windows movie maker and create to dvd on an i5/6GB ram and also do a lot of photoshop editing

3. DTonesXD

DTonesXD Thread Starter

hi, sorry should have mentioned. I want to spend a maximum of £300. I have been considering the Lenovo G50 pentium edition, do you think that would be suitable for the tasks i've stated?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    for your requirements
    i3 CPU 4GB Ram appears to be around the £299
    But if you could post a link to where you plan to purchase
    As its £ are you in the UK
    ??

This laptop would be fine for
    Not sure what webcam they have - but a check of the specs should tell you
    BUT
    It would be OK for photoshop editing - BUT depending on how large the files are , if RAW format and just what you want to do - the PC may be quite slow
    No idea on minecraft
    And also making a Video and then rending and writing to DVD may take a lot of time
    I created a movie from various modified photoshop files and with music etc and the PC with that sort of spec did struggle
    it took 1.5 hours to render and create the DVD
    mjy i5 with 6GB ram took 20mins

5. DTonesXD

DTonesXD Thread Starter

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what do you mean ?

you should see the CPU comparison for the three machines here

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2193&cmp[]=2277&cmp[]=2408

now you may be better off with the 8GB memory - But that CPU is slower
    It will depend on what you are doing the most thats memory dependant
    I would probably go with the CPU speed

Unlikely to play any games very well, is that what you meant by LAG - if so i think you will be disappointed with games

7. DTonesXD

DTonesXD Thread Starter

I meant lag in video editing.
    I usually just do one dvd every year and very rarely use photoshop, i just want it to work at reasonable speed when i do use it.

Gosh i am getting so many different opinions from people, sorry about this but could you just give me a link for a laptop under £300 that would cope with once a year video editing, the occasional non heavy photoshop use and can handle a simple non graphic demanding game, allow for 5ghz internet?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you will need to check the speck to make sure that 5Ghz is support , often its not on the entry level laptops

No sorry, i cannot provide a link, as I don't think at this price point you will be able to obtain lag free editing.

9. DTonesXD

DTonesXD Thread Starter

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i think you are getting the same response here
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/recommend-a-laptop-1011362.html

Your not going to achieve the spec for your price range

So you are getting a consistent response and not really different opinions - other than the BMW v Merc / Canon v Nikon normal differences

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You might find a laptop within your budget if you buy a used one from a reputable source on Ebay. Many used laptops are a lot cheaper than similar new ones.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice