1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a new PC...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brokenhead, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brokenhead

brokenhead Thread Starter

I want to swap out my 5-year-old Gateway for a new box, and I wonder if any of you out there have suggestions?

I am doing my due diligence on the Web and it is making me cross-eyed.

WHAT I DON"T NEED:
    Peripherals. I do not need a monitor and I have more keyboards than I can count. No printers, etc. Hard disk space is nice, but I have 2 USB WD external drives, so that is not crucial. I use open source office stuff, so I do not require big bundles that jack up the price.

WHAT I DO NEED
    64bit processor and Windows 7 Pro x64 to go with it. 4G memory, or expandable thereto. Decent sound and graphics card, but I am not a gamer, so don't need to break the bank for anything I can upgrade later. Tower or mini-tower so I can do this upgrading if and when. At least a 16x DVD/CD RW., SATA not PATA, etc.

Obviously, 8 USB ports are nicer than 4, but you can daisy-chain those.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE
    As much power and speed as $700 will buy, given the above.

I am leaning toward a Dell OptiPlex bare-boner. Anyone have one or a close relative? Anyone out there have a system similar to what I describe above and love/hate it?

Bottom line, I need to move into the 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro age and expect to see a noticeable improvement over my 1.5G RAM, 32-bit XP Pro Gateway, which is definitely starting to go gray.

Thanks!!!

bh

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Go to http://www.tigerdirect and take a look at their barebone systems. you might see something you like? Stay away from the ECS systems

3. brokenhead

Lots to think about on that site, thanks - I have had good luck with them on smaller things in the past.

4. GPYou

GPYou

You can also always go to any local shops and show them your specs and price range

5. brokenhead

Don't know where you live, GPY, but around where I live there really aren't any "shops" anymore (suburban Philly). I take it you're not referring to BestBuy or Staples, both of which are here and really can't match a TigerDirect-type price. There used to be a number of such "shops" where they would repair, build, buy, sell, etc...

Now that you mention it, there a place I just thought of that is nearby. Maybe I can get some good old haggling going.Thx!

6. GPYou

GPYou

Oh, I live in England and there's a few big places like curry's and some smaller computer shops, but glad I helped :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice