1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a new PSU ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fezza 8800, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fezza 8800

Fezza 8800 Thread Starter

Hey kids,
    my old computers' PSU has failed... I confirmed this by testing the old PSU with my current new computer and it failed to turn on. However, one thing I noticed was that the motherboard's LED would light up on both computers (keyboard lights work, etc) however both computers refuse to turn on.

Anyway, I require a new PSU for the following setup. I would like at least an extra 50W on top of the required wattage to cover for any future upgrades.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6550
    GPU: nVidia 8600 GT (Gigabyte) 512mb
    RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR2
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 60gb IDE (possible upgrade to SATA hdd in future.)
    MoBo: Gigabyte P31-DS3L
    1 standard DVD/CD drive
    2 case fans, 1 with LED.

I was thinking around 550-700W setup, however there are so many brands and models with such a massive price range offering the same wattages that I had to ask to be sure.

I'd like a good PSU that does the job with the extra wattage and won't blow up in less than a day due to cheap components/manufacturing.

Aerocool V12XT-600 - 600W, AU$120
    Thermaltake LitePower 700W - AU$79
    Coolermaster Extreme Power+ 700W - AU$110
    Coolermaster GX Power 750W - AU$130

I was thinking the one for AU$79 although if there are cheaper alternatives I'm happy to consider.

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Being in Austrailia limits what you can find in a certain price range.
    I think your choice is a good one.
    That thermaltake should handle it easily.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would second the Thermaltake.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The thermaltake has dual 12V rails, which I would not recommend. I was not able to find any credible reviews of this PS. I also did not find any evidence that this is a high efficiency power supply. The information I did find says it is at least 65% efficient, which is not good.

I personally just installed a Coolermaster GX 750 Watt supply in my workstation a week ago today. It has a single 60 Amp 12 Volt rail. I purchased it off the shelf based on immediate need, and my purchase criteria consisted of the number of industry performance certifications the device had on the box, as well as claims on the box of assorted types of output protection. Subsequent to my purchase, I did look the supply up online and I did find a couple of solid technical reviews of the supply. The reviews were generally positive, given the price point of the supply, but both of the good reviews I found criticized the supply for having ripple outside of ATX specification on the +3.3V line for power levels above about 600 watts. Both also criticized it for dropping below 80% efficiency above about 700 watts. One reviewer "torture tested" it in a thermal chamber, where he ran it at ambient temps above 50C, and it went into thermal shutdown above about 500 Watts. However, this excellent review says it can take the temperatures, though this review also cracked it for out of spec ripple on the 3.3V and on the +5sbV lines at high power levels, and does not recommend it for that reason.

My system is much larger than yours, and I estimate my power draw at about 420-450 watts. In this range, this supply is working really well and is showing about 85% efficiency.

I would avoid the Coolermaster Extreme power supply. It only has a handful of basic certifications. Thus, if it fails, it is not likely to "fail safe". There is an excellent review of it here which states that it cannot meet its rated output power. It also is not a high efficiency unit.

The Aerocool supply was being marketed as an 80% efficient "Bronze badge" supply, but (in the words of one reviewer) "It is a fake badge". It is also very short on certification agency acceptance stickers. It has 2 12V rails. Again, I wouldn't recommend this. The supply does deliver the rated power. I did find an excellent technical review of it here. This review ultimately does not recommend it because "although inside specs, noise and ripple were very high when delivering 600 watts".

Of the choices you list here, I would avoid the cheap coolermaster and the Thermaltake. I would consider it to be a close call between the coolermaster GX 750 and the Aerocool. For myself, given the choice, I probably would wind up choosing the Coolermaster over the Aerocool because it has one 12V rail, a lot of protection features, and more rating agency acceptance. Also, when delivering 600 watts (which is below its maximum) it outperforms the Aerocool (which is at its max rated power at 600W) even though the Coolermaster does not perform as well as it should above 600W.

The power supply is no place to cut corners. Your entire system depends on it, and if it fails, it can take out your entire system.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'll 2nd the opinion for a single +12v rail versus multiple +12v rails.

Also, for trouble free operation and longevity figure out how much total combined power you will need and purchase a power supply where your power "draw" does not exceed 70% (80%) maximum of the maximum rated output.

When your power "draw" exceeds 80% of the maximum rated output this is where the power supply starts to get "stressed" and the life of the unit is shortened. Look for power supply's where the output is calculated at 40-50°C rather that one where the output is calculated at 25°C which is a figure many manufacturers use when calculating output.

The normal operating temperature of a power supply will be 40-50°C. If a power supply output is calculated at 25°C at the normal operating temperature of 40-50°C the actual output will be 10-20% less than advertized dependent on the quality of the power supply components.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

One point.

The operating temperature of the power supply will vary considerably depending on the design of the case. For my workstation, which is in an Antec P-182 case, the power supply is in its own duct at the bottom of the case and doesn't interact thermally in any meaningful way with the CPU, video, RAM, or motherboard.

Air is pulled into the case and past three hard drives, then through the fan that is doing the pulling, then on to the power supply which has its own fan. So, the ambient air is heated a bit by the hard drives, but hard drives are nothing like the heat engines that the CPU and GPU are. So, the air that actually reaches the power supply in my system is close to ambient.

Obviously, in a more traditional system organization, the power supply will be in the top of the case at the back, which is much warmer.

8. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

This is my favorite power supply wattage calculator. Fezza 8800, running you system through it suggests that your system probably pulls about 312 Watts, so a 400 Watt PSU would be adequate. That means that you're really shopping for power supplies around 430-450 Watts. I'm not sure exactly what you have available, but this is what Newegg offers here in the U.S. in this range. I'd lean toward the Corsair or Seasonic, with the Silverstone as a 3rd choice, mostly due to a lack of experience with their PSUs.

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Although I didn't find a decent review of the ThermalTech Litepower 700 W, I did find an excellent review of the ThermalTech Litepower 450 W. Note that there need be no relationship between the performance of the 700 W device and the 450 W device, though we would hope that there would be such a relationship because they are part of the same series.

The review is here, and the power supply is highly recommended.

10. Fezza 8800

Fezza 8800 Thread Starter

Many thanks for those very insightful posts! Had fun reading those.
    Now that i've read that info, I think a 450-550 (maybe 600W) Watts PSU should be fine for the current setup. anything over 600 would be just overkill for this setup.
    new choices i've made based on price, brand (& model) & wattage alone. i'd like help selecting from just these.

Cooler Master Extreme Power 500W RS-500-PCAR - AU$62
    Cooler Master Extreme Power 550W RS-550-PCAR - AU$73
    Scythe 500w Stronger Power Supply - AU$65
    AeroCool E78-530W - AU$65
    All Thermaltake LitePowers under 600W

it's really not that big guys, just need a strong, stable PSU! At this stage, I'm thinking the Thermaltake Litepower 600W or CM extreme power 550W. if there are any other interesting points to note, i'll make the decision and go for the Thermaltake 600W this weekend.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953719