1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Skivvywaver, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

I am using an old visioneer scanner and it isn't living up to my expectations right now. I need a scanner that will make quality scans at a high resolution. The visioneer looks good, but it is over 5 years old and I am sure tech has come a long way in 5 years.

I am trying to just make CD's to take to the store for prints, I do not need an all in one. I only need a scanner that will make excellent copies for a low price. I am strapped for cash. Does anybody have any recommendations for less than $100.

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Check out thei Epason 3490. New egg sells it for 88 dollars.

3. Skivvywaver

I'll take a look Linskyjack. I figure it will end up being whatever bestbuy has for a good price. I need to buy it today as I am needing it. I have a sense of urgency about what I am doing. I don't know why but I feel a need to catalog Bec's life and get them to her family.

Maybe it is because I know tomorrow isn't a sure thing. ;)

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I love my Canon Lide 35 and Lide 60 scanners. LEDs instead of a bulb means no warm up time, very fast scanning, and very lite and slim design. It operates off the 5V supplied by the USB, so no power brick required. Also, Scansoft's paperport works excellent with it. (y)

The Lide scanners are constantly picked as PC Magazine's editor's choice, and for good reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16838111122

I would highly recommend the lide 60 over the lide 20 or 35, much more durable and scanning time is much quicker.

5. Skivvywaver

I grabbed a canon pixma mp450 all in one. I had a beast of a time trying to buy "just a scanner". I needed a new printer also, mine was a lexmark z51 and was quite old. I haven't even tried the printer part out yet. I figure I should just to make sure it worlks.

I'll print a couple of things tomorrow just to check it out I suppose.

6. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Glad I saw this thread because I have a LiDE canoscan 30 I bought from BestBuy 2 yrs ago and It's never given me any problems..Thin, lightweight and does the job. I highly recommend them..But in the mean time I googled it and found a driver I needed for mine. sweeeet..:)

7. erick295

erick295

The LiDE scanners are good if you need something portable, but I would never use one on a desk.

I have seen a lot of terrible fringing on them while scanning text or line art in a color mode. It is especially noticable on black text. See the attached image for a very clear example of what I am talking about. They will handle photos without a problem (the color quality is equal to any other scanner I've used), but I would definitely NOT recommend one, unless you are in need of something portable. This is caused by having three colors of LED's competing with one another - it is not a problem on scanners that use cathode lamps. I am surprised at how few people have ever mentioned this issue. To me, it is unacceptable.

Perhaps this is not an issue on their higher-end LiDE models, but since they use the same technology, I can't imagine it is any different.

Attached Files:

8. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I've had a Canon CanoScan N650U for years now - nice, light weight. Never once had any problems with it.

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

erick295

I've never noticed any fringing. I can post a scanning sample later. It's too late tonight.

10. rylan90

rylan90

I had gotten a HP 4 in 1 printer. It has Fax, Copy, Printer, and Scanner. I think it was between $100-200. But its really good.

11. bkpeck

bkpeck

Epson Perfection 3170 Photo...scans slides and 35mm negatives. I love it!!! It was a Christmas present.

12. slipe

slipe

Unless you are pressed for space of plan to carry it around, avoid the really skinny scanners that get their power from the USB. Or just check the specs and make sure it has CCD rather than CIS sensors. Scanners with CCDs are generally faster and more accurate. CIS will only get a sharp image of whatever is directly against the glass where CCD has some depth of field. So you can scan objects with a little depth with CCD but generally only sheets of paper with CIS.

All upper-end scanners have CCDs and only the very lower range carry CIS sensors. Since you can get a CCD scanner like the Epson 3490 within your price range there isn’t any reason to get a CIS scanner unless you plan to carry it around. MWave has the 3590 for $83 and $10 shipping. With the built-in adapter it will do a decent job on film and slides.

13. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

I know not of this fringing you speak of..
    http://www.canon.com/technology/interview/lide/lide_p2.html

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice