1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a UPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Epic, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Epic

Epic Thread Starter

I'm using a $10 Wal-Mart "surge protector" for my brand new PC. Since I live in stormy Florida, and since I have power fluctuations and outages every now and then, I want a UPS to protect my computer. I'd rather get one that actually protects, rather than buying one just to say I own one. Then again, I don't think I need a very high end one. I'd rather not buy online, but I will if brick-and-mortar retail stores have terrible products.

If it matters, my system:

Gateway 840GM
    Pentium D 830 Dual Core 3.0GHz
    1024MB DDR2 RAM PC4200
    ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB PCI-e
    Creative SB Audigy 2 Value
    250MB S-ATA HDD
    DVD+/-RW, CD-RW
    DVD-ROM

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is one. I use an APC however it is an older model.
    Link

3. starship_fl

starship_fl

I agree with crjdriver. Not only on that model but you can't go too far wrong with any APC product that is big enough for your needs. They have a good track record.

By the by, Walmart sells several APC products, at least in this area.

Good luck

4. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

My local Circuit City had many of them for all different types of circumstances. Don't know if this helps or not, but I figured I might as well try : )
    later

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Just my 2 pennies on this subject.Google the Belkin 1200VA,code number F6C120-UNV.I have one for each of my many computers and they have never let me down for any reason even during bad electrical storms,on 24/7 and some are over 4 years old.Just give them a look and see what you think.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Epic I live in florida too and you sure do want to go with an APC unit. what you will want to do is first determine how much of a load your going to put on the UPS unit. Then buy according to how many minutes you want that sustained load.

I find the APC power units that have the USP software+cord to attach your PC to toe UPS works great in my instance. when my UPS hits critically low it actually powers down my PC before the UPS drains dry.

Remember there is another good thing about APC units they also are a power conditioner in cae you have a weak ground or fluxuating power at all you still have "clean" power going into your computer.

If you go to www.apcc.com and pick the US you can check out the home and ofice units. once you have a model you want its just a matter of where you buy it from. They even have a selector section where you fill out the questionaire.

Mind you though the higher you go in runtime and number ot things attached the higher you go in price too.

7. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

8. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

it is also the only one with enough power to run your setup.

the other ones wont give enough power

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

10. pugmug

pugmug Banned

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have three APC units, and a couple of "no-name" ones. Recently, something very odd happened to our power beyond the house, and the 110VAC went to around 150 volts! I lost a bunch of light bulbs, but no major other issues. Every UPS went crazy beeping like it had a power failure and disconnected from the power line. I'd say they're worth the investment. :D

12. Epic

Epic Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The more I look at this dusty joke of a surge protector, the more I want to replace it. I'm not sure how to calculate my load, especially since I don't even know the wattage of my power supply. There is no sticker on the power supply itself, and it came stock with my Gateway 840G. As far as I can tell, I have no problems with the two upgrades I installed -- PCI sound card and an X800 PCI-e graphics board. Still, does anyone have any idea what the wattage of my power supply is? Or at least Gateway's track record? I have read on other forums that Dell, for example, uses "efficient" power supplies that do better than their wattage suggests.

13. Epic

Epic Thread Starter

14. starship_fl

starship_fl

15. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Not that I can find.It is better than what you have but not really that good for a UPS.19 min. backup run time at half load,2 year warranty,750VA,450W.Not that good of a UPS but it depends on how much you have to spend on one.Your pick!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice