1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recommend a wireless router with great range.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmk909er, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

Hi I am setting a computer up in my garage but it is getting a very poor signal from my wireless router which is on the opposite side of my house and basically unusable.

I am considering getting a good wifi booster/extender etc. but with the cost of a good one ($70-80) it may make more sense to upgrade my wireless router??? It's been a couple of years since I looked into this, have any new routers come out that have a lot more output/range to cover my whole house area? (Just a single story family home with detached garage)

If anyone could recommend a good wireless router I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The problem with getting a router which can send out a quality signal at a distance is the other end of that connection....the client. The client may receive a strong signal but may not be able to transmit back to the router with an equally quality signal. This is why repeaters are employed in some situations or even additional APs to provide better coverage.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i had this with a shed at the bottom of a garden for a friend and even buying the latest "n" router the signal did not improve much from the OLD "G" router , next to the back of the house window

in the end we used powerline adapters
    Note some do not work on extension leads and depending how the garage is electrical connected to the house theres a possibility they may not work

also depends on what the garage is constructed in

4. ETech7

ETech7

May be a bit of a hustle, but for best result run a cable.

5. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

I don't really have the option of running a cable in a practical way. Maybe I will put a repeater halfway between my router and my computer in the garage??

6. ETech7

ETech7

It almost always possible to run a cable: inside a wall, molding, through the attic, in the ground, etc. It's just the matter if it worth the effort. Maybe you can run it not all the way to the garage and use a powerful access point. Check out Ubiquiti Networks Inc., they make some high quality wireless products.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice